Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I got a check engine light, and emissions workshop. the next day, I scheduled an appt with the dealership for today. Later in the day(Thursday), the CEL and Emissions Workshop light disappeared, not to be seen since. I wanted to have it checked out, as my MY 2000 has 68k on it. I had the MAF sensor changed a couple years ago, and was reimburesed under warranty. I though it that was under warranty for 70k, if I now have another problem, perhaps it may be under a 70k warranty also. Today, when I went to drop off the car, the service advisor suggested I give it a few more days, and see if the CEL pops up again. He said that since it disappeared, they may not find anything, but I would still be on the hook for $70 for diognostics. He said if it was any major problem(MAF, O2 sensor), the CEL would have stayed on.

Anyone else have this "disappearing CEL"? it disappeared Thursday...I heard Autozone runs checks on CEL's for free, but will they find anything since the CEL is not present?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My check engine light, and emissions workshop came up the other day as well on my 2000 1.8L. I check under the hood and found the vaccum line to the brake booster was crushing under vaccum and sucking air thru a split in the hose. I replaced the hose and expected the warnings to go away after a few days. The warnings are still their and it's been about two weeks. I might try the Autozone route.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
The code is still there, go to AutoZone or PepBoys and have them pull the DTC. If you didn't tightem the gas cap all the way, that canc ause this problem too.

However, with your mileage, if it is a turbo, it could be a vaccum leak. Check all the hoses for wear, splits things like that.

FYI, CELs will go away if the system thinks the issue has been corrected. The codes will stay there until they are cleared. I am getting my MAF replaced on my Audi today and I would get a CEL for Bank 1 and bank 2 system too lean, but since it was "sporadic" if I drove very conservativley the light would go off.

I would get the codes pulled soon, if it is a MAF related issue then get into the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got back from AutoZone and they could not find the jack to plug into on the 2000 1.8L. The only one they found was the purple on under the driver side, but they could not plug into that one. Where is the jack?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Stunz13 said:
Just got back from AutoZone and they could not find the jack to plug into on the 2000 1.8L. The only one they found was the purple on under the driver side, but they could not plug into that one. Where is the jack?
That's it, it's an OBDII port. If they can't plug into that, then they aren't doing something right. Unless of course there is something wrong with the port.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Autozone cleared the codes for me (I didn't see what they were). The CEL came back two days later.

I've decided to buy the VAG-COM, but first I'm going to see if one of the local VAG-COM users can help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On my way back from Lake Havasu Monday, my Engine Workshop and EPC light came on throwing the car into LIMP mode. Turned out to be a failing sensor in teh gas pedal. $100 for the pedal assembly and $200 for labor :shock: . Not a great day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found two vaccum leaks. Both of them are the small braided hoses coming off of the intake manifold. The long hose that starts under the intake manfold, then tightely wraps around the timing belt housing, then disappers under the turbo, is leaking real bad.

I just replaced the vaccum brake-booster hose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine was the "snorkle" hose going from the air filter box to the secondary air pump (I forget what code). The sticky gasket that was to seal it going into the airbox had all but dried up. I retro fitted it with some double sided tape, hopped in, turned it on and light was gone! Yippee. :)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Stunz13 said:
THey're bsing you then. I work at autozone and I got a 2000 1.8t and can read/erase codes on mine no problem. The one who did yours is a fucking retard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check all the hoses on the car that are made with that silly cloth wrap, because they have a tendency to crack. The problem is that you cannot see the cracking due to the cloth wrapping.

My problem was the one that goes from the combination valve on the back of the motor to the intake and the one that goes from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail to the intake. If either of them is leaking it will give an Emissions Workshop CEL.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
BoostedPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing