Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Passat 1.8T 74k miles ATW engine code.

I get a P1128 Manufactures Controlled Fuel and Air Metering when I check the codes. I also get the "Emissions Workshop" message at startup.

Additionally I noticed that my boost is peaking at only 5 psi or so. Is this soft limp mode?

I searched the forums and have pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a bad MAF. Can anyone confirm this before I drop $140 on a new MAF?

TIA

Chris

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
You could run a vag-com scan on the maf readings to confirm it. Always double check the vacuum hoses as they can cause the same problem.

You should be able to get a rebuilt maf from the dealer for less than $100. I did when I had my ATW.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've check the vac lines and replaces a few of them. If I clear the code, it drives normal, with the correct level of boost for about 20 miles, then the CEL comes back on.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up a MAF from the dealership over my lunch, $141, not too bad.
I'm going to swap it in this evening and see how it goes.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the MAF is in the front seat of my car waiting for things to cool off under the hood. I'll let you know what happens.

Did you notice a loss of boost as well?

Oh and it's re manufactured.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the car has almost no power, new vacuum hoses, new filter, new o2 sensor front and rear
the funny thing: i took the car to the dealer for diagnostics and the say it's not the maf, it's A LEAK ,god knows where...
i called ADVANCE, PEPBOYS n AUTOZONE in my area, they do not have any refurb in stock(special order, one to 2 weeks)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I replaced the MAF tonight, cleared the code and went for a drive. My boost is BACK! and no cell yet, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I go on the Saturday Home Cheapo run.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've check the vac lines and replaces a few of them. If I clear the code, it drives normal, with the correct level of boost for about 20 miles, then the CEL comes back on.
Mine 2000 ATW(45,000 mi.) is doing the same thing, I got some cleaner for the MAF, any gave it a cleaning...we'll see if it works...

·
Registered
20 Posts
i bought brand new bosh maf from ebay and voila the CEL is gone
i drove the car for 80 miles city and highway and it never showed up.
before that i cleaned it (maf) couple times, but CEL comes back in about 25 miles of driving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts