Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine sez cylinder no. 2 is misfiring. So I think its the coil for no. 2. I swap coils with no. 1 and reset CEL. Now it still sez no. 2 is misfiring. Any ides on what else it could be?

Eric

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do you have a '98 or '99 ? If so its probably the ICM. Have you tried changing the spark plugs? may be something simple like that

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Passat is a '98. I did put all new plugs in last week. I'll change one and two just to double check its not the new plugs. Not sure if its the ICM but its looking that way at the moment. It could also be the wiring I guess too. Will double check that as well. Keep the suggestions coming.

Eric

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's the ICM, almost guranteed! Got mine at busdepot.com for like $115, but if you do a search, I think someone only paid $99 including shipping :thumbup: The faster you order it, the faster you'll get it (assuming you're anti-stealership)

·
Registered
923 Posts
hey my car rode liek that liek 3 months ago and it said i was miss fireing adn whne we look under the hood there was a busted vacum line called teh brake booster vac hose it is on the topof the engine close to the fire wall kinda hard to explain if u need more info pm me and i will take a pic of it and send it 2 u

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know its not a vac line because if i completely disconnect the no. 2 cyl. spark plug the engine does not change. still rough. thanks blaupassat. i am leaning toward it being the ICM. its either that or the wiring harness to that particular cylinder. will start doing searches for ICM prices.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had the same problem here with #2 misfiring. It was the ICM. Ordered a new one online for 100 bucks and it took 15 minutes to install. All fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 1999 VW passat and audi 1999 A4, same engine. One day woke up to a sluggish idle/misfiring. At first we thought it was the ECM, after switching that out there was no change. Consulted the forumns here and everything was pointing to the icu. (Ignition control), I don't know anything about cars but this was one of the simplest things I've ever switched out, socket wrench and detach, switch part = all better. The part I got from "stopshopanddrive.com" via Ebay, it was 81 bucks with shipping. VW wanted 450 bucks, Kragen wanted 457--this is criminal. Anyway, this thread saved me a lot of money and I hope this helps someone else in the future that might have the same problem, i.e., a misfiring on one or more cylinders controlled by this little gadget that I guess controls the spark somehow. I replaced it with a HUCO part. This problem it sounds, should of been recalled for these particular years and engine, 1.8t. Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts