Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I started my car and she sounded awful. CEL came on and it was barely sittin'at idle..I went to autozone to get my codes checked here was they came up with
p0302- Cylinder 2 misfire
p0441- purge flow ????
p1545-speed sensor

My car harldy accerlates and it sounld like a 1600cc VW motor, I changed my plugs but to no luck, still hardly runs, runs really rough. :evil:

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

98 B5 1.8T

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry..what is a ICM?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ICM = Ignition Control Module.

On your '98 it sits attached to the top of the air box. Pull the plastic cover off the top of the air box and you will see it. 2 screws hold it in place. There are two electrical connectors - one on either side.

There are lots of threads on the ICM and how to test it; you can check it with an Ohm meter. Also there are fairly cheap sources of supply - less then half the dealership's price. I think Busdepot.com was the last low price source I read about.

Here is a link or two that will help...

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66779

http://www.busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=4D0905351

Good Luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great write up...I'll give it a try

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4D0905351 is that the part number I would need???

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes 4D0905351 is the part number for the ICM for the '98 Passat (and other's). Busdepot sells a HUCO brand replacement. You can input the same part number on the Impex site and it will pull up the ICM also, but the price is around $350 :crazy: . The 98-? Passat is listed as one of the applications for this part number on the Busdepot web site as well. Note that this is not a Bosch OEM unit; it is an aftermarket replacement part that many members have installed without problems.

If you want the OEM unit you can get it through ECS Tuning or Impex but it costs significantly more money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Problem started immediately after starting the car? (Was running fine when you shut it off?) #2 Cyl. misfire? Classic signs of ICM failure (although mine was actually #1 cylinder).

Just replaced my ICM last month. Bought the HUCO unit from BusDepot, even though the original unit was from Bosch. No problems at all swapping the cheaper unit for the (overpriced) Bosch unit.

Just follow the testing method in the link supplied above. If your meter shows an Open Circuit between the center pin on the 5-pin side, and any of the pins on the 4-pin side, then the unit is bad.

Total time to replace the ICM: 3 minutes (includes having to dig through the toolbox to find the tools).

By the way: BusDepot didn't have the unit in stock, but promised to have it drop shipped via FedEx for Next-Day delivery (as I needed to get the wife's car running again). They did exactly as they promised, and the car was running by noon the next day! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered the ICM, will see what happens...Its funny, every morning I start the car and it runs fine...then after I stopped for a coffeee this morning, statred her back up and it all started again...My CEL keeps flashing on and off..She is grumpy

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Rney said:
Just ordered the ICM, will see what happens...Its funny, every morning I start the car and it runs fine...then after I stopped for a coffeee this morning, statred her back up and it all started again...My CEL keeps flashing on and off..She is grumpy
You should seriously avoid driving the car until you get the new ICM installed. All the misfires are going to dump raw fuel into your catalytic converter, which will make it fail prematurely, and that's expensive!

Steady CEL - OK to drive, just get it checked.
Flashing CEL - very bad to drive, only drive it for emergency purposes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rusty said:
Rney said:
You should seriously avoid driving the car until you get the new ICM installed. All the misfires are going to dump raw fuel into your catalytic converter, which will make it fail prematurely, and that's expensive!

Steady CEL - OK to drive, just get it checked.
Flashing CEL - very bad to drive, only drive it for emergency purposes.
Wow...Thanks for the tip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.