Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ha everyone wants me to get this done NOW. In Worcester I have like 14 other cars to drive should something go wrong, here I have.. taxi services. I like to think ahead ;)

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The wires look perfect, nothing melted or disfigured. Time to jack it up see if there are any disconnections between the turbo and intercooler..

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I found absolutely nothing wrong, fuck.

I read this thread, everything sounds similar: Weird behavior, a CEL and more

Could a hole in the ECU box cause all of these sensors to be messed up, or is it the first code in the list (P2138) and I need to replace the throttle position sensor? There was heavy rain/snow when this happened, so it's possible the ECU box got wet. Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also this, http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/518340-Pool-of-water-in-drivers-foot-well-clogged-drains

"i do have the problem of going into limp mode after the car wash and throwing P2138 code (throttle position sensor), which is associated with water in the ECU box."

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, not that anyone cares about this thread, but I'm going to keep updating.

These codes have absolutely no connection other than the ECU, because the sensors associated with the codes have absolutely no shared fuse/relay/wiring harness that I could find in any schematic or wiring diagram. The voltages they're getting (5V reference, between 1.5-3V actual signal) are far too low, and the ECU is throwing implausible signal / signal too high / signal too low codes for each sensor. I can't imagine that an ECU would only partially fail throwing odd voltage levels only to certain sensors - I'd think that a bad ECU would prevent the car from starting, driving fine, etc, and not throw codes for only MAF, MAP, TPS, Boost Sensor, etc.

But I'm picking up an ECU tomorrow, I'm curious to see the results of swapping it in.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
ive been following this thread with interest so update if and when you can. its not usual to see this much show up all at once on a well maintained car.

when I first read this my mind went to bad engine mounts (which yanked some part of the wiring harness) but it seems a bit of a stretch now.

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ha actually that might be spot on, well without bad engine mounts. A member on AZ said he had symptoms similar (but not as extreme) and as he replaced connectors with new leads, the codes went away. He seems to think he (and I) have bad wiring harnesses. If that's the case ill find out tomorrow with the new ECU. But if it is, Matty has an extra wiring harness.. with a 2.7 attached :angel:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Will the replacement ECM allow you to run the engine without the immobilizer paired up?

That picture of the pristine wires after you opened up the sheath sure was a letdown. I thought for sure you'd found the problem till then. :(

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Will the replacement ECM allow you to run the engine without the immobilizer paired up?

That picture of the pristine wires after you opened up the sheath sure was a letdown. I thought for sure you'd found the problem till then. :(
I thought that'd be it too :(

what car are we talking here? its likely the op doesnt have immo.
B6 A4, I have immo. I see you on AZ all the time. But I can pair the immo in the ECU to my key tomorrow as well.

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So it wasn't the ECU. I replaced it and had the same issues. I brought my multimeter, osciliscope, and laptop outside to help me and my neighbors were looking at me like I was retarded. I tried detaching pins from sensors on my code list to see if one was affecting the rest, to no avail. So I said fuck it, and traced each wire from the sensor to the ECU. I found this:

I think what happened was when I slid, whatever snow was build up/shot up moved to the side, and tugged on the wiring harness down onto the exhaust and burnt this. The wires burnt through the sheath, the rubber coating, and melted copper wire together. Causing one large short (oxymoron).

Problem. Solved.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Now THAT'S the sort of thing I was expecting to see inside that harness section laying on the CAT. You car wanted to challenge you so it hid it somewhere else. (sneaky car) :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
glad you found the culprit.

was the pic in post 23 in the same spot as the one shown in post 6? I assumed you opened up the loom where it was touching the cat. where on the harness were the chaffed wires?

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now THAT'S the sort of thing I was expecting to see inside that harness section laying on the CAT. You car wanted to challenge you so it hid it somewhere else. (sneaky car) :hmmm:
Worst game of hide and seek, ever.

glad you found the culprit.

was the pic in post 23 in the same spot as the one shown in post 6? I assumed you opened up the loom where it was touching the cat. where on the harness were the chaffed wires?
The wire above was not in the same spot, it was about 2 feet further down the MAF wiring when the loom splits into smaller ones and tucks behind the engine.

I'm glad this is fixed, but all these small pain in the ass issues have me questioning whether or not I want to dump more money into this. The Passat was a no brainer, I loved that car. I'm not so in love with this one. So it's either continue my 2871r build and keep dumping money into the A4, or I have a lead on this S4..

CHASE AUTO GROUP | Dealer | Riverdale, New Jersey

Ugh, decisions.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
The more you work on this one, the more it will become a no-brainer to you. Then again, an S4 is mighty nice. :driving: And the learning curve begins again.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
With that S4 you definitely wouldn't have to worry about losing turbo boost...

until you did a custom turbo install.

Nice car, and almost Colorado Red.

·
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
With that S4 you definitely wouldn't have to worry about losing turbo boost...

until you did a custom turbo install.

Nice car, and almost Colorado Red.
V8 = no turbo lag. I'm loving the color too, a lot more personality than my silver.

There is a supercharger kit for the 4.2 :thumbup:
Yup, but way out of my budget. I wouldn't mod the S4. Just a tune, exhaust, downpipes, short shifter, coils, wheels, etc.

I should set up a PW Poll. 2871r'd 1.8T 5MT B6 A4, or 4.2 V8 6MT B6 S4. Just trying to figure out what makes sense in the long run :confused:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts