Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over a month after taking delivery of new B5, the CD Player has been skipping quite a bit now. This happened even on the first day of delivery. Noticed that this happens on some burned CDs, mainly on a track # 3, 4 & 5. Sometimes an entire burned CD cannot even play. I tried using a cleaner which I forwarded to track 4 as required but the CD jumps back to track 2 - nothing happens.

Has anyone experienced the same? I've heard that if a burned CD has labels on it, then it will skip - mine does not have any labels at all - just plain and does not have any scratches.

Dealer mentioned that the Monsoon player works only with originals and will act up if CD is burned or scratched. Comments & feedback much appreciated.

Thanks guys !

Michael

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Your monsoon shouldn't care less about whether a CD is burned at home or bought at the store. The fact that your dealer made that statement calls their credibility into question, IMO.

I play home-burned CDs in my changer all the time. The only time I experience skipping is when I'm traveling over tortureously pocked road surfaces. This is true whether it's a home-burned CD or not.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Your dealer is full of crap. Take it back, and tell them you want a new stereo. I only ever play burned CD's in my car (every one of them has home-made labels too), and it never skips... ever.

As a matter of fact, Volkswagen has made some improvements on their new double DIN stereo units, which helps with the CD tracking. I'd admit that they 'cheaped-out' on other stuff, but this is one area where the stock stereo is good.

Take it back and get tough with the dealership. They will have to replace the stereo... it's no sweat off their back. I notice that you're in Calgary. Volkswagen Canada (and probably worldwide) is very good about taking care of warranty claims. It's usually just a case of letting the dealership know that you aren't in the mood for their crap. Trust me.

Oh, by the way... welcome to Club :b5: .

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kenny/Jimmy:

Many thanks for your input. I called the service manager again and expressed my concern on the CD skipping issues. He mentioned that there is definitely an issue with some CDs but not all. He has the same problem on this car as well and I tried mentioned the info you guys posted above. VW Canada has recently issued a brochure on this issue which he will mail out to me today. I shall post more after I receive the brochure.

Thanks again.
Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.