Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get a used single disc cd player or even a 6 disc changer for a 2000 Passat that I just picked up. It came with the factory monsoon cassette player, and I can't live with that.

Is it also true that you cant' hook up an after-market disc changer to the pre-installed wiring in the trunk?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have a factory monsoon stereo yes you will need to run new wiring, because when vw designed this stereo system they put in a preamp for all the speakers in the car. So if you want to replace the factory head unit with an aftermarket one, yes you will need to replace the wires. It should work the same as your old head unit if you replace it with a factory cd player.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
adreww00: Blitzsafe or PIA makes adapters to use an Aftermarket Alpine changer or a Panasonic changer right up to your existing monsoon. You'll only need to do any rewiring if you want to completely replace the existing stereo.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i picked up a VW 6-disc changer from the dealer for $200 when i bought my car, and $150 for the cd player in this classifieds forum. i'm sure you'd find some here, if you're patient, or ebay has some too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
When I bought my 99 b5 I was living your same dilema. I did some research for you at crutchfield.com The results are already for your car! Found you a cd changer for your car for 279 bux and plugs right into the head unit you have. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f6l0MjN0AAm/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=65500&s=0&cc=01&avf=Y&search= (no need to run another wiring, all you'll have to do is plug it in). But I have a suggestion. At this price (at the dealer I found it for 360, I have no idea which dealer D.Passat00 got his!) wouldn't it be more interesting for you maybe to go ahead and upgrade your unit and by one that also plays mp3?!? You'll be able to enjoy just as much music as a 6 cd changer, if not more :wink: ! Plus all of them that plays mp3 comes ready for satellite radio! That would be my pic :thumbup: ! Here's the link for the head units that will fit your car: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f6l0MjN0AAm/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=62700&s=0&cc=01&avf=Y&search= You can find most of these radios at best buy too. I hope it helps! Keep us posted! Congrats on your :b5: !

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
bought it at vw of van nuys. always buy whatever additional OE stuff you want at the time when you purchase your vehicle. they'll be more likely to give you a good deal 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts