Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.

Can anybody post a detailed photo of TRUNK installed CD Changer/TV Tuner into a Variant model, please ?

I need it.

Thanks a lot,
Enrico.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Enrico - the changer in a Variant goes in the left rear compartment in the Variant. You should have a compartment on either side - right and left. The right side is for the first aid kit, and the left side holds several items - the amplifier for the radio and the CD changer (when equipped) in the two "slots" or rectangular openings, and the lug wrench, lug "key" and associated tire changing stuff held in by a velcro loop on the bottom.

I have no idea where the TV Tuner (I assume Euro spec) goes, since there isn't much additional room in there. It could be part of the amp "package" on Euro spec cars I suppose.

I don't have a picture (at work now), but do have a 2003 Variant.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much (you now are at work ... in Italy are 23:16 ... and now I will go to bed)

I've appreciated very much your answer. Ok, I've just bought from Germany the rack that must be installed in the left side of the trunk. Infact, now, in the left is installed a console that holds the tools for the weel removal and substitution.

I know, in europe, that in this rack are present two rectangular holes to keep the ch changer and the tv tuner. In the third hole, i suppore, must be reallocated all the weel removal tools.

Now I need some photos that represent this installation so I can have an idea how is the result.

I hope that my bad english is understandable .....

Enrico.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
"tv tuner"... maybe he means the stereo amp?

enry -- your english is *way* better than my Italian! don't worry. :)

either way, the changer should go on the second shelf down. if the stereo is "pre-wired" for the cd changer, then you should see a plug tucked in there somewhere.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
This is my Variant, and as you can see, I do not have a changer, but I've marked where it goes. The top cubby slot is for the Monsoon amplifier, below that is the changer (you can see the wire that should plug into the changer), and below that the jack storage. Hope this helps.

Edit: my dogs thought I was nuts shooting this at 9pm in the dark!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again to all peolple.
Dear Harvey your photo explains to me that there are probabily two type of installations.

In Italy the Monsoon amplifier is called Bose dsp system, but may be that is another thing.

My Passat B5.5 was originally configured with only Gsmma radio without cd changer. I've bought in Germany the double din consolle and I've installed it. Between other things to install the double din are NECESSARI some cuts because the screw supports are different between the single and the double din.
I've bought (also in Germany) the MFD Vers. D and the TMC tuner and I've installed it in the central console. The GPS antenna is located under the dashboard and works fine.

Now I've a Panasonic CD changer (8discs but only 6 can be seen by the MFD) that I want to install in the trunk of my Variant (for the connections is necessary a simple plug adaption without any type of interface). I've bought on e-bay the TV tuner (is a tuner that allow the user to see on the MFD display the television channels (analogic only) and adds other two audio/video inputs for the MFD so you can attach also an MP3 player, DVD, DivX) that must be installed in the same position of the Monsoon amplifier in your photo.
I think that You can add the same tuner also in your American car.:)

I must so also install and route all the necessary cables because my car does not has them. The cables are: CD Chager cable, TV Tuner cable, TV Antennas cables.... but this is not a problem.

If possible I whish to know how to unmount the left panel to install the rack.

I hope that these informations are usefull to someone ...

Enrico.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Harvey - the B5.5 is exactly the same (US Spec).

Enrico - The US doesn't require the orange or red warning triangles on passenger autos. Commercial vehicles (heavy trucks, busses etc) do carry them and are required to display 3 of them when they are pulled over - but autos are not.

In terms of how to remove the panel, I think it is all one piece - which means that you will have to remove the various plastic trim pieces around it. A Bentley Manual should have it - otherwise you might be able to find a picture somewhere in the ETKA thread - http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228021

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all: thanks again.

This is my Passat (enry68 stick):

http://www.vwgolfclub.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=26017&st=15&p=626071&#entry626071

this is an Italian VW Golf oriented Forum where I've asked to make a session dedicated ONLY for Passat.

... and here you can find my modification on the central courtesy light:

http://www.vwgolfclub.it/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=29807&view=findpost&p=747741

In this photo you see the old GAMMA radio. Now is installed the MFD navigation system.

I go immediatily on the link to study the EXACT procedure to unmount the left panel to install the rack. My fear is the possibility to broken something ...

... i go.:thumbup:

bye bye

Enry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts