Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have recently purchased a 2002 Passat TDI 130. It comes with the standard Gamma radio and Climate control. It's configured with the Climate Control at the top, then the single DIM Gamma cassette player, and finally a hole (not very technical!)

My question is: How easy is it to add a CD player in place of 'the hole', I have seen them on eBay and they all claim to fit in below the Gamma but thought I would check first. The image below (which isn't my car but has the same layout with a Gamma instead of an after market HU)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
If it's the same as the American models with single DIN, pretty easy. You'll need the CD player, the cable, and the mounting tray (looks like a cheese grater). Tools are simply the German radio removal keys. You remove the shelf, and slide the radio forward. Connect the cable to the back of the radio, and slide the player and radio back in together.

Tricky part: Some people have said you have to use VAG.COM or the dealer computer to tell the system it has a CD player. That wasn't the case with mine, but I was adding the player in addition to the changer in the trunk, so it might already have been done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If it's the same as the American models with single DIN, pretty easy. You'll need the CD player, the cable, and the mounting tray (looks like a cheese grater). Tools are simply the German radio removal keys. You remove the shelf, and slide the radio forward. Connect the cable to the back of the radio, and slide the player and radio back in together.
Do you have a photo of the finished job to give me an idea of what goes where?? I'm guessing i may have to replace the surround as i assume the CD player will be the same size as the Gamma and climate control unit??

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
Do you have a photo of the finished job to give me an idea of what goes where?? I'm guessing i may have to replace the surround as i assume the CD player will be the same size as the Gamma and climate control unit??
Here's mine, which is a 2000 B5, not a B5.5. If yours is like the illustration, it seems you would need a different bezel. I've never seen a single-DIN radio in a B5.5 here in the States.

·
Registered
60 Posts
MY B5.5 looks just like the picture in scotts13's post, except without the cupholders, so at least the first few months used a single DIN (I have a fairly early B5.5). As such the parts should be available (climatronic was an option I didn't opt for), though the climatronic or manual controls go at the bottom on mine too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/kiefferr/e3cd6c13.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.