Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are probably a million threads on this thing, but here's mine. :)

I removed the driver's seat and pulled up the carpet (what a PITA), and found a TON of moisture/condensation under it. It smells all musty. That explains why the windows fog up so easily.

I removed the CCM and gee whaddaya know, the one I bought to replace it doesn't fit. Lovely. In the meantime, I need a good way to dry out all that moisture. I'm wondering if I should just pull the other seat, center console, and remove the carpet entirely, or mostly entirely. Or maybe dump 50 lbs of baking soda under it.

Here's a pic of the CCMs. The one on the left is mine. The one on the right is the one that doesn't fit. If this one will work for somebody, please message me and I'll make you a heck of a deal on it.

Oh btw, inside the box this thing was in, it was totally dry. I pulled the circuit board out just now and it looks fine, but without knowing anything specific to look for, who really knows. Nothing looks burned, cracked or damaged on either side.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
The CCM is probably OK, the wiring is likely faulty with corroded splices.

You can use a shop vac to remove any liquid water, then use a dehumidifier to remove the rest.

First locate and fix the source of water ingress.
I suggest you completely unwrap all of the CCM harness and pull the wires apart to find the splices, any corroded splices
need to be cut back, soldered, and covered with marine grade heat shrink tubing. (You might need to add short wires to replace what you cut out)
Also check ground connections (1 on floor and on "A" Pillar), and check CCM/TCM and "A" Pillar connectors.

Have a good look at this link, before you start.
This thread attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/230249-water-ingress-solutions.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again! Yeah I noticed that one was in the "wrong" place compared to mine. FWIW, my pollen filter area is completely and totally dry. The filter looks like it's never been replaced, so I'll get a new one tomorrow.

I've removed both front seats and the moisture is under the driver's side front and rear footwells, and also on the passenger rear footwell, though not nearly as badly. The passenger footwell is completely dry.

After reading about the sunroof drains, I found the front nipples and squeezed them... got a good amount of water out of them. But I can't find the rears. My car is a wagon, so no idea there.

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
But I can't find the rears. My car is a wagon, so no idea there.

Rob
You gotta remove the rear plastic fender wells to see them. I cut them like you do the fronts.

check the drain holes under the battery and booster. Those are real easy to clog. Also, check any rubber grommets or other spots where water might get through. My floods were caused by the rubber boot for the hood release.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
What ^he said. Remove the battery and tray and check/clean out that drain. Also, working from the passenger's side, stretch your arm to ~36 inches so you can reach the drain port (use a flashlight to see it) that is behind the passengers side of the brake vacuum booster. I tried reaching the damned vac. booster drain from the driver's side, no dice.

When this happened to the AEB Passat in December, I went so far as to jack the front end up so I could put a ramp under each front tire to help the water drain to the rear floorboard (where a 3/16" hole is now drilled into those plastic floor plugs - two on each side). :whistle:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I had an 01 and would hear the noise of water sloshing around. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After researching here I looked in the battery area. Full of water :icon_eek: To the point that when turning sharp you could see it pour out and over the fenders.

Cleaned out the battery area and removed the 2 rubber grommets for the drains. Pulled the front carpet up and put some wood underneath it to keep it up and used a dehumidifier for a few days. many times you can't tell the foot wells are wet because the pad under the carpet is like a sponge.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also removed the battery and cleaned out the grommet. I'm still not sure how the water is getting into the driver's footwell, though it seems like it might be coming from the kickpanel ahead of the door... yet there are no openings there that I know of.

My wiring harness, btw, looks quite good. The "tape" crap wrapped around it is sticky, but that's it. I haven't seen any corrosion anywhere. I will unwrap it the rest of the way today and look more closely though. The passenger side is all dry, and I'm actually fairly sure the reason it was wet was due to a bottle of water being spilled in the back seat area by a passenger a few weeks ago (when I had loaned the car to a friend), as that side didn't smell musty at all. So it's all clean and everything is back together, seat installed, etc.

The driver's side, however, I'm still working on getting dry. I run a space heater on it for a few hours each afternoon after work. The rear is almost dry, the front needs a bit more attention But until I determine what to do with the wiring harness, I can't reassemble it anyway.

BTW -- my rear defroster doesn't work. I tested the wires at the rear window and there's no current. The switch lights up and the fuse is good... so... could it still be a bad switch, or related to this wiring harness under the carpet?

Rob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tom provided that thread on solutions for water ingress. You can always cut all the grommet nipples, including the two coming out of the front doors' sills. The draining sunroof channels (hoses) run through the A-pillars and could become either clogged or disconnected over the years. It would be easy for the water to sip under the pillars' plastic cover directly in the footwell under the carpet.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I purchased my car with water under the carpet, as well. All said though, I think the biggie on these cars is to have that pollen filter housing sealed very well.
Great cars, yet so many head scratchers on poor pissy design in some areas.
good luck drying your carpet, what a headache

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I'm still not sure how the water is getting into the driver's footwell, though it seems like it might be coming from the kickpanel ahead of the door... yet there are no openings there that I know of.
Pull the driver's side kick panel (next to your left foot), then next time it rains, get into the passenger's seat and use a flashlight to look for drips coming into that area from a loose, detached or broken(?) sunroof drain tube (on driver's side)...and yes, this means pulling the headliner to check out the SR drain tube. Still love your VW? :crazy:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the car back together today. I finally got the carpet dry. I also unwrapped the wiring harness and inspected it closely. NO signs of corrosion; in fact it looks to be in excellent condition. So for now it's back together. I'll have to look for other solutions to the few weird electrical issues I have.

Good tip on the kick panel.. I'll do that. Here in Oregon I won't have to wait long for more rain.

Love the car? Sure. Hate VW? Absolutely. Will NEVER own another. After this, its back to Subaru.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the reasons I suspect my CCM was because my power windows are insane. If I press the button to put the window down (but don't activate auto-down), nothing happens. If I press it to activate auto-down, that works. If I then push the button again to stop it from going all the way down, that works too. But if I push the button down to put it down a little more, it goes UP. It does this every time and on both front windows. The rears work fine. However, the front passenger window switch operates normally.

Another thing that happens occasionally, is I'll press the Unlock button to unlock all the doors. It may work, it may not. So I press it again. Then it'll unlock. But then it immediately locks everything again. WTF?

I'm thinking maybe this whole switch panel is insane.

And this morning when I started it to go to work, I got an Airbag Warning message that is staying on. I wonder if it could be related to the wiring that plugs in under the seats?

Rob

·
Registered
850 Posts
The window issues:
Honestly, a failed switch isn't unlikely. Loss of 'manual-down' can happen when the contacts wear out - mine did the same thing. Given that you can pick up a new switch on fleabay (Chinese made, sure - but, they do work) for $6-15 (high price being for a chrome-trimmed switch from a U.S. seller; lower prices if you don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks for delivery from China), well....
Hell, pick up two switches - and, after you function check both, do the one-touch rear windows mod. That's what I did, and it was actually pretty easy. :)

Have you popped the CCM itself open, and checked it for corrosion? Circuit boards that have been submerged get real crusty, real quick.
I'm also wondering if your switch block might have suffered some water damage at some point. New one is cheaper than trying to fix it....

Airbag light:
Could be anything. Once something - anything - in the airbag system 'faults', the warning is permanently ON until the fault is cleared. Have VCDS yet? ;) You'll need it to read (and clear) airbag faults - can't do that with a simple OBD-II scan tool.

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Scan it with VCDS or similar (dealer scan) and post the codes.

I expect the airbag light is on because you didn't disconnect the battery before removing the seats,
and you switched the ignition on while the seats were disconnected.

The info provided in post #16 indicates a faulty door switch assembly and/or a faulty door lock module.
Door Lock Mechanism Repair (With Pics) (Modified copy from taligentx.com: Collections)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q6e8n9681nfcex/Door Lock Mechanism Repair.docx?dl=0
Also check the wiring and connectors between the doors and pillars.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
X's 2 on Tomvw^^

When the door switch/ lock mod starts having issues it messes with the alarm, windows and locks. Mine has an issue and I'm certain it's in the switch/mod but waiting till it warms up a bit to take the door apart so I reduce the likelihood of breaking the aging clips.

I removed the steering wheel a few times and until I disconnected the battery and didn't turn the car on the airbag light always went on. My VCDS cleared it every time :thumbup:

Ohhh. and cut those nipples!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.