Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a parking pad built in front of my house so I wouldn't have to shovel the entire shared driveway to get my car out in the winter so since Friday I've been parking in front. Tonight I was checking email on the PC upstairs and I hear some kids on bicycles stop and start making comments about my car to the next door neighbour. "Nice car"; "cool" etc. One of them says to the others "what is it ..a Jetta?" and another looks at the back and says "no, its a Pass..att". Just then my wife comes back from a walk with our three yr old and they tell her its a nice car. She then goes down the driveway and starts chatting with the neighbour. All this time I'm watching from a second floor window because while I'm hearing nice compliments, these kids (11 -12 yrs old) are just a little too interested in my B5. :suspicio:
Sure enough, one of them stoops down and unscrews the valve cap from one of my BBS RKs and pockets it. :mad: Needless to say I'm down the stairs in a flash and out the front door. They start to tell me what a cool car I have..!!!! I thank them but say "you wanna put the valve cap back?!!" You should have seen their faces!
The kid who took it puts it back right away while the other two are saying "nothing else is gone" and "I didn't do nothing"!!

I hope this episode isn't the start of a trend!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Lovely story. No respect.

They'll probably egg and TP your house now since it's your fault you caught them and made them feel bad....

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
You just know that your going to loose them now...
Why not just bite the bullet and buy the kids some for their bikes?
Might make them future VW drivers.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
V6er said:
You just know that your going to loose them now...
Why not just bite the bullet and buy the kids some for their bikes?
Might make them future VW drivers.
Good idea :thumbup: I should keep a gross of these to pass out to the kiddies.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, every kid should have chrome look valve caps for their bike with the BBS logo on them! I know I should just take them all off now and replace them with cheap black plastic ones.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Bad kids! :mad: ...[spank]

Just catching them will hopefully scare them enough to not go near YOUR Passat again. But kids will be kids, so someone else may fall victim of their sticky little fingers.

I can't imagine watching that unfold :eek:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I use a 10mm box end wrench to tighten my BBS caps on. It's a little bit anal retentive but it works like a champ. They are on tight enough so you can't remove them by hand but if you have a little wrench they come off no problem. It keeps kids from jacking my caps.

·
Registered
615 Posts
CRD99 said:
I use a 10mm box end wrench to tighten my BBS caps on. It's a little bit anal retentive but it works like a champ. They are on tight enough so you can't remove them by hand but if you have a little wrench they come off no problem. It keeps kids from jacking my caps.
I was going to suggest plyers. I always carry my leatherman with me (my Maine roots are showing), and it's easy to just snug them up a bit. Makes them impossible to remove by hand, but grab the plyers and it's no problem. Use a sock or napkin from Subway if you don't want to scratch the chromy ones. :lol:

2,551 Posts
Campy said:
Use a sock or napkin from Subway if you don't want to scratch the chromy ones. :lol:
hehe, only the napkins from subways eh?

i dream of catching people in the act of bumping my car when they're paralleling parking. so many scratches already from that..... man....i would freak

·
Registered
275 Posts
The good thing for you is you caught them in the act. I had mine lifted at the GO Station only to find them the next morning flattened in the parking lot.

It would be nice to see you at one of the GTGs since I haven't seen you car for over a year now. If you available check Vortex as we usually meet Fridays at Kennedy Commons.............Brian

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wish I could have caught my antenna bandit in the act ... grrrrrr ...

Nice job, you handled it well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts