Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After another $1500 the V6 is getting seriously fast :D
I got a call back from the shop - all 4 cats are gutted and O2 sensor readings are being emulated by a computer so NEVER a Cat CEL EVER again!!! :bowdown:
Head and Valve covers have been removed and received a great cleaning, painting and resurfacing. (Valve cover and other oil leaks have also been fixed)

The head has also been resurfaced and compression has increased on all 6 cylinders beyond factory default.

I also got custom high flow headers installed , which were machined by the shop itself.
I just got back from the shop test driving it and MAN!!!!! :D
1st gear doesn't even last 2 seconds!!!
It is a different car! - HOLY SHIT!
My intake is being reworked (again) - I will have dual intakes behind the fog light grills installed. - Infrared thermometers show a 25-26 *F difference between the current set up and the new one.
I will also benefit more from atmospheric pressure, without sacrificing intake surface area.

All that is left now, is fine tuning the Speed Tuning USA chip on the dyno with the new set up.
I suspect another huge gain from that. 'I cannot wait!!!

PZ prepare for another test drive! :lol:

Dyno run WILL BE FILMED and Pictures will come once I get the car back!!!
All the excitement I didn't bother taking a pic!! xD

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya just watch out for the deep puddles man!

Forgot to mention - Intakes will have hydro shields to guard from splashes, but you are right brother - really need to look out for flash flood warnings - intakes will sit a tad higher than the lights.
I am also saving up for a high performance light weight torque converter cause HP are slowly creeping towards the questionable reliability HP range.
It just feels so different - it sounds like a lambo when driving through tunnels - its crazy!!!
My friend took a video of me pulling through the tunnel today - I will ask him to send it to me so that I can post it.

The shop owner has a CRAZY RX8 @ 600 HP stripped down with rollcage and a big sony video camera mounted between the front seats.
Needless to say its not street legal and wont pass inspection for shit haha.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds great, I would like to now the improvements you have made and hp? And what made the most difference, I have not herd of many performance upgrades for ATQv6 besides the supercharger that sounds great but to much cash.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds great, I would like to now the improvements you have made and hp? And what made the most difference, I have not herd of many performance upgrades for ATQv6 besides the supercharger that sounds great but to much cash.
Before I was at 236HP on crank so probably around 205HP on the wheel (~40HP gain) with the following mods:

-Resonator delete
-Custom short Ram Intake
-Speed Tuning USA Chip (custom tune)
-ECS Tuning Light Weight Pulleys
-Oval Stainless Steel Wide Exhaust Piping
-Magnaflow Performance Series Exhaust/Muffler
-
-205/50/R16 light tires
-%5+ weight reduction (Spare, Resonator, pipes, Stock Air Box, Hood material, other small things )

Now I am looking forward for close to the 250 on the wheels. :D
But I can only pray.

When I drove it today, it felt REALLY fast.
It was just going through the first 2 gears like nothing -I must have hit 60 in the mid-high 5 seconds.
I just know that when I started hearing 1st gear rev up, I was already in 2nd haha.
I wanted to take it home and do a video review of it and a test drive for you guys but the shop was not completely done yet. :(
They need 2 more days they said. -.-

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Could you post some pictures of the high flow headers? I bet many 2.8 Passat owners would love a set of those. If that shop can fabricate those for a reasonable price, there is a small market they could tap.

As for the secondary O2 sensor modifications, people usually use a sensor extender, an ECM software edit or a diode. A small computer emulating the output of a sensor sounds impractical considering the typical methods.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Most shops charge well over that just to pull the heads. Are you sure they actually pulled the heads?

You may have problems once the temps start to rise. Higher compression and more timing do not always work well when temps are over 100. You might want to look into a water/meth injection setup.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most shops charge well over that just to pull the heads. Are you sure they actually pulled the heads?

You may have problems once the temps start to rise. Higher compression and more timing do not always work well when temps are over 100. You might want to look into a water/meth injection setup.
Yes Paul. :)
It is dirt cheap, aint it!? :D I have been a costumer there for 2 years and the guy who runs it is acutally a friend of mine (600HP RX8 owner) and noted how much he enjoyed transforming the Passat from were it was originally.
Obviously I am getting one hell of a deal. ($20/hour vs standard $70/hour)
Which leaves no room for me to complain about the waiting time.
Everything from coolant lines and headers all the way to exhaust manifold are covered in motorsport heat wrap.
I am picking her up tomorrow - preparing for some tickets already! ^^

Ohh and Paul I credit you for the headers!!

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Everything from coolant lines and headers all the way to exhaust manifold are covered in motorsport heat wrap.
That could be good for keeping engine bay temps down but it won't do much for combustion chamber temps. Hot day, WOT, free breathing intake& exhaust, above stock compression = propensity to pre-ignite or detonate or at least cause the system to start pulling timing. It would have been interesting to see what timing your was doing before compared to after this latest set of modifications. Keep an eye out for timing pull and if you're seeing much, water/meth is probably a good solution.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That could be good for keeping engine bay temps down but it won't do much for combustion chamber temps. Hot day, WOT, free breathing intake& exhaust, above stock compression = propensity to pre-ignite or detonate or at least cause the system to start pulling timing. It would have been interesting to see what timing your was doing before compared to after this latest set of modifications. Keep an eye out for timing pull and if you're seeing much, water/meth is probably a good solution.

I will keep an eye on the temps just in case.
Coolant temp topped out at 190 when I drove it but I do not believe that that is very accurate .
Regarding the timing, the shop took care of it, but I do not have the data on hand that was pulled form the ECU, I will ask tomorrow when I pick her up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was there ever an actual dyno run to prove this? Or was this still your iphone app or whatever?

I knew I still had it some were:

dyno.jpg

But back to serious - I took pictures of the dyno computer which no 1 ever believed me but I don't care about that - lets concentrate on my new results :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
I will keep an eye on the temps just in case.
Coolant temp topped out at 190 when I drove it but I do not believe that that is very accurate .
Regarding the timing, the shop took care of it, but I do not have the data on hand that was pulled form the ECU, I will ask tomorrow when I pick her up.
Coolant temp is largely irrelevant when dealing with pre detonation which is what Steve was saying. Pre detonation and knocking refer to fuel/air being ignited abnormally. They tend to occur together and are associated with extreme combustion chamber temps (which are very different from what your coolant temp gauge reads!). Small hot spots can occur on surfaces inside the cylinder.

This can cause problems and destroy a motor. The engine management looks for it in the knock sensor data and pulls timing to protect itself so to speak. If the engine has to do this often you're not making the power you could be.

Water meth injection lowers temps inside the cylinder to allow for higher compression and more aggressive timing meaning more power.

You would check for it by logging timing pull on vag com or you may be able to hear/feel it. If you're seeing timing pulled water meth may be an option. That's what Steve was saying.

But yeah anyways on to the dyno with you now. You better hope it's as good as you say. If not you're going to have to eat some serious crow around here.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I knew I still had it some were:

View attachment 29353

But back to serious - I took pictures of the dyno computer which no 1 ever believed me but I don't care about that - lets concentrate on my new results :D
Well this reply surely doesn't help credibility. I just never remembered seeing a dyno run sorry, it was a serious question though. Thanks anyways, be interested to see what you get to the wheels though. I have a feeling the numbers won't be as big as you think.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the info, that is incredible, please keep us posted. As for the compression and cylinder heat don't think it will be an issue, not a lot of meat to mill like big block Chevys you can take off 100 thousandths by angle milling on some but that's a whole different website( LOL) on the heads I had mine off I would have not milled anything becouse of that for future repairs you may not be able to square up head if it gets out of spec . Not trying to rain on your paraide to bad your not anywhere near Chicago or it's suburbs would love to see it! Not a lot of people doing performance engine mods to the 6 cyl engine

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, that is incredible, please keep us posted. As for the compression and cylinder heat don't think it will be an issue, not a lot of meat to mill like big block Chevys you can take off 100 thousandths by angle milling on some but that's a whole different website( LOL) on the heads I had mine off I would have not milled anything becouse of that for future repairs you may not be able to square up head if it gets out of spec . Not trying to rain on your paraide to bad your not anywhere near Chicago or it's suburbs would love to see it! Not a lot of people doing performance engine mods to the 6 cyl engine
Thank you man!
Great explanation birdman!
And Wagon like I said I do not want to bring old war files back up. :D
First it was people doubting the gains, then doubting the evidence and then doubting any gains at all.
PZ confirmed for me which I appreciate a lot haha! (with me in the car too)
And Paul will be taking another spin after all this. (without me in the car)
And I expect him to look something like this when he gets back from a nice run around the blocks:

hahaha
Yeah I just love challenges!
Loved them my whole life!
A lot of people said that the V6 cant be faster than a chip tuned 1.8T without the supercharger but I staid persisstant hahaha
I will probably end up throwing in a light weight performance throttle body to decrease drive train loss a little and strengthen the tranny for the extra horses.
Goal after all this is to fine tune the chip with all the mods I have done to it on then dyno and then hit 1/4 miles in low 14's possibly high 13's (probably not happening haha) but low 14's would be great!
240BHP on the wheel would be great to see too!

Again those are realistic dreams which haven't become true so I can only keep dreaming till I get the car from the shop this afternoon.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know I'll probably bite my tongue for this, but here it comes.
Without any offense intended whatsoever, I suggest you should start thinking at the future. I hope you have higher education plans and the military is your intended vehicle to achieve those goals (you said you will enroll, IIRC?). In that case, the Government will take care of you...
It is never too early to start saving for retirement, instead of throwing all your money away on the car. Knowing what Wal Mart pays its employees, I doubt you make enough to shove all these thousands of dollars into the car, and at the same time save or invest in the stock. Of course, you do whatever you please with your money, and be free to have all the fun you want to have (modifying your car).
Just take into consideration that life will get pretty busy, very fast for you. Just saying.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I'll probably bite my tongue for this, but here it comes.
Without any offense intended whatsoever, I suggest you should start thinking at the future. I hope you have higher education plans and the military is your intended vehicle to achieve those goals (you said you will enroll, IIRC?). In that case, the Government will take care of you...
It is never too early to start saving for retirement, instead of throwing all your money away on the car. Knowing what Wal Mart pays its employees, I doubt you make enough to shove all these thousands of dollars into the car, and at the same time save or invest in the stock. Of course, you do whatever you please with your money, and be free to have all the fun you want to have (modifying your car).
Just take into consideration that life will get pretty busy, very fast for you. Just saying.
I do not see that as offensive.
That is a very polite explanation.
I am a support Mgr. at Walmart and since I still live with parents (until I leave for service), My expenses are rather low.
Now please do not think that I am spoiled - $500 goes to the household monthly from my pay even though the father makes 6 digits.
(I am not comfortable with the idea of living free off of your parents after you have finished school)
I saved up for a long time ($300/month) to do these projects and yes $200/month go into a savings account.
You are right, it is never too early to save and considering that TB job has been done a few months ago and the car is just only over 100K miles, I think it is a good investment (actually cars are never good investments except antiques and exotics) for me since I am planing on driving her for well over 200K miles.
And if you wonder: "Why the hell would he share those numbers with these strangers on this forum" - you guys are not strangers and I dont mind :)

I was going to buy a 2013 GTI with 7K down so I think that this passat that I got gifted and $3000 spent on maintenance and tunes/upgrades is one hell of a deal.

F4MOUS I am glad that we share a dream - we need to meet some day even though you live at the ass of the world. hahaha

1 - 20 of 95 Posts