Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep having problems with my cats, the last time I had to replace them and it cost $1200 each from the factory. Has anyone removed their cats? If so what problems did you encounter. Obviously, engine codes and emissions workshop warnings, I figured that much, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or found O2 simulators for VW or anything, Any input would be appreciated. I'm not ignorant about cars, I just don't know how difficult it is going to be to find away around my problem. Thanks for your help in advance. 01 passat 30V V6.

·
Registered
334 Posts
if your car has less than 80K miles, the emission warranty will cover the CATs. I just had both of mine replaced by the dealer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I just had them replaced about 7k ago, under the warranty, but they shouldn't be bad again. I'm just wondering cause my car is acting the same way it did last time they went bad. i.e. running rich, epc light came on for no reason, check enging light came on, and then the car displayed a engine workshop and emissions workshop light. The only thing is yesterday morning i'm leaving for work, and I start my car expecting to see the same lights and emissions workshop,.......nothing. problems gone. But I still want to remove my cats. Nenad, you said the magnaflow cats.. $166 each? Thats not bad, have you talked to anyone that has them? I wonder if it would effect the sensors being that VWs are so picky? Thank for the reply, both of you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Guys from Magnaflow quoted me 166 per piece for my 99 V6 and all of their cats are high-flow.I did not talk to anyone about them, can't tell you will they trigger CEL. One thing is sure M-flow have cats that are under very strict laws of California and that means that their cats are not joke but decent products. In any case do not go without them, you have 2 lambdas one before cat and other after.If you remove cats for sure it will provoke CEL.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I know that if I completely remove the cats it would through a cell, but i didn't know if anyone had found an 02 simulator for vw yet. that would fix that problem. I'll call magnaflow and talk to them, try to find out what the differents in flow is going to be. and what the diff. is if they can run with the strict laws of CA. Thanks again for your input. Very much appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing