Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently in the process of removing and repacing both sides of the cat converters and replacing the o2 sensors as well. i have the drive side loose but cannot retract it from the access area. do i have to remove heat shields or lower the subframe to remove it?????

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have not done this on a 2.8 Passat but I did it on a 2.7T Allroad which is similar but not identical. I did not have to drop the subframe but I did have to remove both transmission mounts and the cast aluminum parts that bolt to the transmission. I did also have to remove the heat shield at the top to get to the bolts anyway so those came out after I pulled the exhaust pipe out.

It is not a fun job.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i finally lowered the rear suframe about an inch(put a bottle jack in for safety and removed a bracket that holds the spring support and one heat shield finally got the left side out ....what a pain!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mow i have the right side loose its twice the size of the gap might have to take rt tranny mount loose, what a nightmare?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finally the well guardedv secret to removing the cat from a 2003 passat with tip tronic automatic is this::remove the normal components includiding sensors,manifold nuts aft connecting sleeve and spring support. on right hand side remove it completely from tranny.now to clear the tranny dropp the rear subframe bolts to lower about an inch then remove the tranny support mount shield, actual mount and then the support bracket to the tranny.now your forward cat converter will clearr.i supported the tranny with a bottle jack.

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
I have not removed the trans mount when I have done them, but I do lower the rear of the subframe quite a bit. They are one of the reasons I don't like the V6 with Tip trans. So much trouble to pull the exhaust or trans.

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
Even the V6 with manual trans is much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts