Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 1.8T - I noticed a good sale on Castrol Syntec Blend Motor Oil 5W-30 at Autozone. Is this ok to use?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Syntec blend seems to produce some outstanding wear numbers according to a few analyses posted on bobistheoilguy. My only concern would be whether it would shear down or not in a small sump turbo in a 5k interval. I would go with the 10w-30 rather than the 5w-30 for anything but freezing weather.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Just grabbed a few jugs of the Castrol Syntec 5w-30 Full-Syn at Wal Mart for a little less than $19 (5 qt jug). Didn't notice the price for the Blend, but I would imagine the Blend brew would be considerably less.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
VWs4Ever said:
I use Castrol 5W40 :lol:
The dealer sells it
Ditto here. Since VW recommends 5W-40, I use Castrol Syntec 5W-40. :wink:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
VWs4Ever said:

The dealer sells it
How much do you pay at the dealership? Stealerships in the D.C. Metro Area charge on average about $8.50qt for Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and that's highway robbery! NAPA sells Valvoline SynPower 5W40 for about $4.70qt. and some small autoparts stores can order Castrol for you.

If your local autoparts shop doesn't have it, then you can get Pentosin or Lubro Molly 5W40 from Autobahnfluids.com at excellent prices.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
The Swami said:
VWs4Ever said:

The dealer sells it
How much do you pay at the dealership? Stealerships in the D.C. Metro Area charge on average about $8.50qt for Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and that's highway robbery! NAPA sells Valvoline SynPower 5W40 for about $4.70qt. and some small autoparts stores can order Castrol for you.

If your local autoparts shop doesn't have it, then you can get Pentosin or Lubro Molly 5W40 from Autobahnfluids.com at excellent prices.
Dealer's over priced Syntech 5w-40 is a good oil from what I have gathered thus far, and if it's readily available at my local Wally World at a reasonable price then I'll certainly give it a try.

Don't want to re-hatch the legitimacy of "full synthetic" law suit with Castrol, but Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is an excellent full synthetic oil for less than half the price. I have used synpower in the past with good result, I am now running Rotella T with similar result.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The Swami said:
VWs4Ever said:
I use Castrol 5W40 :lol: The dealer sells it
How much do you pay at the dealership? Stealerships in the D.C. Metro Area charge on average about $8.50qt for Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and that's highway robbery!
I thought you can get Castrol Syntec 5W-40 for a lot less ($4.69) in DC area?

Finally found Castrol Syntec 5W-40... DC Metro Area!!

My dealer charge me $5.25/qt with 20% discount off the list. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
vuvision said:
Don't want to re-hatch the legitimacy of "full synthetic" law suit with Castrol, but Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is an excellent full synthetic oil for less than half the price.
Both Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower are Group III lubricants and Mobil 1 SuperSyn is a Group IV lubricants. This just to tell you SynPower, like Syntec, uses hydroisomerized petroleum base stock and is NOT “full synthetic” like Mobil 1 SuperSyn.

The difference between “true” synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 SuperSyn and all other synthetic oils such as Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower, is Mobil 1 uses synthetic polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stock, but everybody else now switched to cheaper hydroisomerized petroleum base stock. But there's more than one road to the point B of improved performance and stability on oil. As long as the performance and stability are the same as “true” synthetic oil, we, as the consumers, really don’t care how it is made of other than the price should be lower since their cost is cheaper. :)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
The thing that bothers me about these synth blends, be it Mobil, Catrol or whathaveyou, is that there is little info (if any) that gives the blend ratio. Is it 50/50, is it 75/25, or "hey, we threw a quart of the full synth in the batch of 10,000 gallons?" :shock:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
yrwei52 said:
The Swami said:
VWs4Ever said:
I use Castrol 5W40 :lol: The dealer sells it
How much do you pay at the dealership? Stealerships in the D.C. Metro Area charge on average about $8.50qt for Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and that's highway robbery!
I thought you can get Castrol Syntec 5W-40 for a lot less ($4.69) in DC area?

Finally found Castrol Syntec 5W-40... DC Metro Area!!

My dealer charge me $5.25/qt with 20% discount off the list. :)
Did you read the full post?? I found Castrol at T-N-T Autoparts at that price, while dealerships in the area charge an average of $8.75qt!!! Now the new leader in the highest dealership price for 5W-40 is SpringfieldVW topping the list at $8.95qt!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The synthetic blends are probably about 10% syn and 90% lower quality petroleum base oil. Generally, they don't give much better performance than a top quality petroleum oil and not worth any extra price.

Ken

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
KLS said:
The synthetic blends are probably about 10% syn and 90% lower quality petroleum base oil. Generally, they don't give much better performance than a top quality petroleum oil and not worth any extra price.
I got into a debate with a friend of mine on this topic...are you guessing or do you have info? Post a link, if possible. TIA!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have been using Castrol Synthetic blend for over a year now on my car ('02 1.8T 37K) and have had no problems. I change the oil every 4k and at that interval it still looks good.

I buy mine at WalMart in 5 qt containers. about $11.00 :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer uses Castrol Syntec blend 5W30 for VW oil changes, unless you're willing to cough up $42 more for the 5W40 full synth (for V6).

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
4mo*miles said:
My dealer uses Castrol Syntec blend 5W30 for VW oil changes, unless you're willing to cough up $42 more for the 5W40 full synth (for V6).
I'm surprised that they go that far, in using the synth blend. But $42 more is robbery, IMHO. What is that, a $7 per quart premium, on top of the regular oil change? Pretty outrageous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts