Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm more inclined to believe it's hype. Unless it comforms to the VW spec, it's of no use to our cars.

You want anti-sludge? Change your oil every 5000 miles with a quality synthetic.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
Castrol GTX bottles used to read, "turbo approved." :<

Castrol dino is probably fine for the V6 (I confidently use it in my son's Audi), but keep it out of the 1.8T.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I've been using synthetics in all my cars (except the aircooled '73, which gets SAE30) for nearly 10 years now. I cant wait to drop the oil pan on my V6 Passat to look at what the bottom looks like. I'm not doing it for kicks, I have a tiny crack from bottoming out that's been temporarily repaired and ought to hold up until the weather warms up enough for me to confidently use the sealant you need to put the pan on.

I'll post pics when I do it. :)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
What's more interesting is what Castrol is saying about it's pro-sludge formulas....

Would I want to buy an anti-collapse building from a company that also constructs buildings that are not labeled that way? How about "non-explosive formula" driveway sealant from a maker of ordinary driveway sealant?

This is real hole-in-the-head marketing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts