Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying out my first "major" DIY tomorrow morning. I'm sort of nervous and excited at the same time. I'd be replacing my valve cover gasket, and tensioner gasket. I have limited experience when it comes to working on cars, but I could write C++ codes all day like there's no tomorrow :banghead:

Anyways, I'm a tad bit nervous as to problems I might run into. Any advice? Also, I need to get a torque wrench from AutoZone tomorrow morning. Suggestions?

/rant. :salute:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I feel you, i need to change the TB, roller and tensioner from my car, and feel kinda nervous. I write code in C#all day long too...

eof

8,184 Posts
Quick question before I go get started. Where do I apply the sealant to? :confused:
On the corners of the gasket and a very light cover all the way around.....you really don't need or want a lot of sealant. I didn't put any on my Chain ten gasket. Just my valve cover gaskets. Take your time and make sure you don't spray a ton of cleaners into the area for anything will go down into your oil. I would also change the oil after your done.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I just did my VCG this past Sunday. It's really quite easy. The critical part is torquing the valve cover back on evenly. The torque spec is 7 ft/lbs. (I actually did 9 ft/lbs but I wouldnt go any tighter than that). It's NOT very tight, so be careful. First, make sure the gasket is properly seated, then make sure the cover is evenly seated, especially in back. Then make sure you tighten it down in a cross pattern, like you would when changing a tire. Start by going around at 4 or 5 ft lbs then one more pass at 7. I did the outside bolts first, then the inside bolts.

Some say you dont need any sealant, I just put a little dab in the corners. It's important to make sure the mating surfaces are very clean. I had a tiny bit of sludge on the underside of the cover, but the motor was spotless.

Depending on what engine you have, you may have a lot of breather tubes for the PCV system in the way (on the AWM this was a bit of a pain). On mine, there was ONE bracket in the way of the cover that I had to push out of the way to get the cover off. It would've been easier to cut the clamps, move the tubes, then re-install them with hose clamps.

I never got around to the chain tensioner gasket, as I didn't have time, (I started loosening the metal covers on the cams, and marked the chain, and sprocket, then decided to save it for later) and didn't want to risk pulling the cams and screwing things up. I'll do it in the next few months. Depending on your comfort level, it may be good to have someone standing by who has done it before.

Oh - make sure the torx bit you use stays securely in the ratchet. Mine fell out, somewhere in the front of the engine bay, and I never found it. Fortunately it didn't land on the timing belt and make a big mess....

On the torque wrench - I used someone elses, but for a smaller range wrench, where the torque is more critical, it may not be a bad idea to spend a few more bucks on a higher quality wrench. I'm looking into getting one soon. It doesn't have to be the top of the line Snap On.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
One thing I found too is if you have a digital camera that pictures of every step as you take things apart. This way when putting it back together you can refer to the pictures if you forget where or how something goes.

It only takes a minute and can save a lot of grief.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts