Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the carpc I put together. The PC is a VIA Epia-M 10000 powered by an Opus power supply. The power supply (on top of the PC, opussolutions.com) is a relay and wakes and sleeps the computer as the ACC is turned on or off. The system has no optical drive and instead I use a firewire drive to transfer files.

The screeen is a Lilliput 7" widescreen LCD touchscreen (ebay that). The system plays my losslessly compressed music files, is a GPS with voice navigation and plays movies. It also has wireless access. Bluetooth allows me to place and receive calls with nifity picture caller ID on the screen (http://zoran-horvat.de/private/CarPC/default.htm).

The interface is Mediacar. Which acts sort of a front end for Winamp and Destinator (the gps program. Mediacar can be found here:

http://www.media-car.fr.st/

This is a screenshot of destinator within Mediacar:

As you can see it entirely replaces the factory radio. I bypassed the stock "amp" with an Alpine 4-chanell amp with the CarPC serving as the preamp.

Cost was about $1500 installed. Considering the capabilities of the system I'd say its a good deal.

Cheers,

Hope you like it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
that looks so cool. Way above anything I could pull off, so very jealous!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
VERY nicely done. the more I see, the more I think about going this route. I'm amazed at the things one can integrate into a car PC, that go for ridiculas prices as stand alones (GPS ?) Music keg/MP3 players!

Any real audiofiles care to chime in on the sound quality with this application?

Rian

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there are some going on at the mp3car.com forums.

Regarding the audio quality; I use lossless APE files that are as good as the originals.

Cheers,

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm not so concerend with the quality of the track, but the quality of the output source. S/N ratio to your amps? are you using an in line EQ? or something internal to the PC (software)? How does it compare to say a stock deck vs say Kenwood vs. say.. Nachamichi?

Rian

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is that a Casetronic Enclosure ? Im putting together one for my car and want to fit the case on the right side of the trunk when you open it. I was thinking about a Morex Cubid 2677R or 3688

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice. Why didn't you use the stock amp? Did you put LCD anywhere else in the car (ie headrests). Do you have a work instruction?

·
Registered
593 Posts
All I can say is WOW.

After spending a few days on MP3car.com, it's becoming appearant that this will be my next venture into car audio. It's simply amazing what you COULD do with this application (god if only I had a decent ability to program.. I might have to start learning for this!)

For those who are interested it seems there are simple ways of integrating AM/FM in this, phone obviously, DVD etc. The only thing I'm not certain of yet is integrating any type of thumber remote so I can have steering wheel control of specific functions. I'm sure you could do it, it's just a matter of how / how much / how difficult.

Now all I need is some software to play with to start trialing a few Ideas!
Rian

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Rian_Colorado said:
.... The only thing I'm not certain of yet is integrating any type of thumber remote so I can have steering wheel control of specific functions. I'm sure you could do it, it's just a matter of how / how much / how difficult....
On my carputer, there is a input for IR [EPIA Mini-ITX MB] so it would be possible to integrate a remote :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Rian_Colorado said:
so I can have steering wheel control of specific functions.
How does the volume and search/next track connect with the radio? possibly it may be moded to work with the computer (hardware and software).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Johnny said:
On my carputer, there is a input for IR [EPIA Mini-ITX MB] so it would be possible to integrate a remote :)
Where is the IR "eye" I assume one could custom mount it anywhere...
Does the IR function (in/on the PC) learn? One would presume that you could set the functions from an existing IR remote then...

Funny thing is that this is all VERY similar to how my Pronto remote works! Man, I need to get a demo system and start playing...
Rian

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Rian_Colorado said:
Where is the IR "eye" I assume one could custom mount it anywhere...
Does the IR function (in/on the PC) learn? One would presume that you could set the functions from an existing IR remote then...

Funny thing is that this is all VERY similar to how my Pronto remote works! Man, I need to get a demo system and start playing...
Rian
Here is some info: Building a Homebrew Infrared Receiver for the VIA EPIA M-series mainboard (and fitting it in a Morex Cubid 2688)

And from the VIA website:

• Q: How can CIR be implemented on the EPIA-M mini-ITX mainboard and who makes modules and remote controls/keyboards for it?

A: CIR can be implemented using third party remote controls and keyboards and matching CIR receiver modules. The receiver module is connected to the CIR (really just PS2) pin header on the EPIA-M board. The module receives signals from the remote unit and translates the signals to PS2 input for the mainboard. Popular uses of CIR include remote controls for setup boxes and digital entertainment PCs. A third party vendor supplying CIR technology is Forward Electronics. They design and manufacture both receiver modules and remotes controls/keyboards. However, please note that they supply only to system developers and not to end-users as the technology would require driver customization (ie: to program the buttons on a remote), chassis considerations (the receiver module is usually customized to fit into a specific chassis), and possible development charges. End users looking for wireless keyboard/mouse solutions can try standard USB or PS2 interface wireless solutions from companies such as Logitec and Microsoft. The contact for Forward Electronics: Eric Chen Forward Electronics Co., LTD [email protected] www.fwd.com.tw Forward does provide reference receiver modules and remote keyboards/controls to prospective system developers.
HTH, This is going to be one of my next projects...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Anyone into car PC's have a SOLID AM/FM source OTHER then an in dash radio? I've heard of the D-link, but it seems to be gone/not available? I'd be after replacing the entire stock system with the PC if I went that route, and I need the system to provide at least FM, and I'd prefer AM as well.

Rian

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Rian_Colorado said:
Anyone into car PC's have a SOLID AM/FM source OTHER then an in dash radio? I've heard of the D-link, but it seems to be gone/not available? I'd be after replacing the entire stock system with the PC if I went that route, and I need the system to provide at least FM, and I'd prefer AM as well.

Rian
Same here - I haven't been able to source the AM/FM yet. Found USB XM though... This is one thing that keeps me from replacing the stereo.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
20 Participants
wheresjim
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing