Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's keeping value I guess. I sold my Passat to Carmax a few weeks ago. The car finally showed up on their site. They're selling it for $12 less than I paid for it new....

Shade22182

·
Registered
436 Posts
What did they give you in relation to blue book value. I have been thinking of getting a new car and trading in mine but from what I have heard it will go for a lot less than blue book says it will. Selling it to Carmax may just be the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a price I was happy with. Sure, I lost a material amount of money from selling a brand new car 6 months after having bought it. That said, I had no complaints at all with the Carmax price or the offer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked the car, but just had bad luck with it.

The first day I had it, my dog tore up the door seal getting in it. I had taken him for rides all the time in my Honda, never a problem.

Then it got hit by branches with material damage twice in 2 weeks. I didn't even have 70 miles on the car. Parked next to it was our Honda. No damage. I can only assume that the metal is very soft in the 06 Passats. Then was the acorn issue already documented on another thread.

Then there was the reliability rating discussed on another thread. I like to keep cars for a long time and this bothered me.

The only other issue was design. I love interesting and clever designs -- cars, houses, watches, etc. While the 06 design had the advantage of being larger than the 05 design, a positive, it didn't really make me smile. The car I replaced it with does....a lot.

The car was fun. It zipped around town in and out of traffic. It was fast. Handled fairly well. Had some nice amenities such as heated seats. At 6'7'', surpisingly, I fit in it quite well. In the end, the Passat just didn't seem durable to me and, with the bad luck I had had to date, I wanted to start over with something else.

Trade in value was horrendous. I knew I'd take a hit, but it was really bad. While Carmax wasn't great, it was not unfair. I do find it interesting that Carmax is selling for only $12 less than I paid for it out the door, including without an option that I paid for in the original prlce but never did have the dealer put in the car (still sitting in their offices).

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
i bid you good luck and i feel the same way that you feel about German :thumbdown
never any problems with Hondas or Toyota and if your in it for the long run you made a wise choice by cutting your loses now ........ if only honda made the Accord Wagon again id be all over it

·
Registered
47 Posts
i bid you good luck and i feel the same way that you feel about German :thumbdown
never any problems with Hondas or Toyota and if your in it for the long run you made a wise choice by cutting your loses now ........ if only honda made the Accord Wagon again id be all over it
Wrong, I had a 2003 Honda Accord EXL V6 and had nothing but problems with it (traded it for the Passat). First problem was entire dash had to be replaced at less than a month old. When you would rub your hand over the dash the color came off on your hand, then the rattles started along with trans problems, a shake in the front end they never could find and a lot of other little things. My brother in law has a Toyota FJ (3 weeks old) just got it back from the dealer because they had to put a new trans in it. So yes there are problems with Honda's and Toyota's also. I love my Passat, had it just over a year and have not had any problems with it.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Remember that is the price they are asking, more then likely they will get alot less. My passat was listed for about 3k more then I actually paid after tax title and license fees.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts