Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im pretty illiterate when it comes to installing after market parts for my car. Now i can change fender markers and disable my drl's but thats about it. A while ago i bought the carbonio intake from my indy and paid him like 30 dollars or something around that to install it.

welli was just detailing my car and decided to pop the hood open to wipe w/e dust i see. Now i knew before hand about this but didnt realize why there was tape on my intake. Now i know

the tape was peeling off from the heat inside the engine bay so i peeled a bit off. Upon further investigation i notices that the plastic connector piece (not sure wtf that piece is called) is not connected to the tube. I dont know how exactly to explain this. Basically it looks like when the indy installed it somehow the connector spout was ripped from the tube part. There a huge hole in it going all around the outiside so it looks like he put high temp tape around it to prevent hot air from getting in. Im pretty sure it doesnt look like a hard fix if i can order a replacement piece from carbonio and just pull that broken connector off. Can someoene tell me what exactly is going on here because im not smart enough to know? Also whats the name of this broken piece so i can email apr and get a
replacement.

It looks that if i get a replacement i can just pull the tube off and snap in the new NOT broken one. I hope i did an ok job at explaining whats going on. :(

cliff notes: The piece on one side of the tape is seperated from the other side.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Man, I'm no authority but that looks like a serious hack job.
The Carbonio intake itself looks nice, but the part going to the intake tube is not nice.
Have you talked to your inde about it?
Assuming you paid, what 279.00(?), for the intake you deserve better installation.
Where in SFL are you?
I moved to MN from Ft. Myers in August.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im sure my indy will fix it but he wont be available till monday..

im located in coral springs florida :?

eitherway im pretty pissed. Does someone have a pic of how its supposed to look?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
i thought this was a pretty much perfect fit to the stock snorkle? i know a guy with a wagon in ny that had the same one, and he didnt seem to have any sort of tape outside. my carbonio is first gen and doenst even use the damn snorkle thing, pulls air from near fog light entrance. that sucks dude need more heat protected tape.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I believe the intake is made to line up with the B5 A4 snorkel. IIRC you have to get the snorkel tube piece from the A4 and then install that, then mount the Carbonio to the snorkel tube. Its around $20 or so at the dealership. All i know is for what you paid, i wouldnt even have left the shop with an install like that. They convinced you to spend $300 and then TAPED it together...honestly I would go back to the shop and ask for an explination.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hit up Home Depot or Lowes for some A/C metal duct tape - not the cheap crappy fix it all duct tape. Until you can get it fixed properly, at least.
got some of it at walmart will put it on for now

I believe the intake is made to line up with the B5 A4 snorkel. IIRC you have to get the snorkel tube piece from the A4 and then install that, then mount the Carbonio to the snorkel tube. Its around $20 or so at the dealership. All i know is for what you paid, i wouldnt even have left the shop with an install like that. They convinced you to spend $300 and then TAPED it together...honestly I would go back to the shop and ask for an explination.
i plan on going there and having them fix it...he knew about the tape issue and told him he will fix it.

what the hell is all that white stuff?
yup the sticky residue yumminess

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you everyone for the idea. i went to walmart and got this

after putting about 20 layers around that sucker so i know no heat is getting in there i was ready for a final pic

do you guys think this is a permanent fix or just a temp one. It looks fine and much better than before. I think its better than the stock snorkel. I created even more heatshielding than before. Maybe? The tape says it can handle temps up to 150 degrees...im assuming it probably get a little hotter in the engine bay than that. Ill see how it holds out.

How do you think i should handle the situation? Should i have him fix it? Should i just have him fix the next broken thing on my list at no charge? I dont want anyone to think hes a bad guy cuz he told me about the problem that hes gonna create something for it but i just didnt realize he broke it. Im sure he would have fixed it have i came there sooner. I just didnt realize how crucial it was.

Also. My next problem consists of a squeaky noise when turing the wheel left or right..im guessing power steering pump or power steering fluid..not sure but im taking it to him cuz im too n00b to try and fix it

PS. I want to take a video of my car..hmmm

UPDATE: WTf..went on apr's website the pic of the intake on the audi a4 1.8t looks totally different from mine

did i get jipped here...this one does even have that snorkel that broke on mine.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
They gave you the B6 version:

Thats your main problem most likley...

Notice how the Audi OEM snorkel tube lines up perfectly.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wow so basically i got fcked with the wrong intake..

is the b6 version of the intake even compatible..is it possible i still have the stock intake.. WTF. It makes the BOV noise and im not sure but i dont think the stock one can do this. Is it possible i paid to have nothing done!!!!#[email protected]#$%R?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I can't believe you even drove off the shop lot with that setup. I can't believe they taped your intake together. Even with high-temp tape, that is just sloppy. I would have raised hell even before signing on the dotted line.

SirWired

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you all say that but when it was first done it didnt look like it did in there pics. The tape was fresh and clean and i thought it was just heat shielding tape or something. Then as it started to melt and becoming shitty i realized. If it looked how it did in the pics now of course i wouldnt have drove it off. This is the pics of what happened to the tape after like 3 months.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Wow man, you better go back there and get the right one installed and your $30 back. This kind of thing is not good rep points for a tuner shop in my book. :thumbdown

1 - 18 of 18 Posts