·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I know the audi allroad comes with one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any interest over here? Mine is fine but I figured I would get the word out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The problem with the OEM belly pan (IMO) is not what it is made of, rather it is how it is attached. I agree that using carbon fiber would make it more durable, but I don't think I would invest in a cf one if it is just going to fly off again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they made a breif mention of it MAYBE consting less than the OE plastic?????? :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do they know that carbon fiber shatters when it is impacted. The last thing I want is to hit something in the road and the CF pan shatters. Not only would not stop the impact, it would pose an extreme road hazzard to any trailing drivers.

Ever seen a crash in F1, there is carbon fiber everywhere afterwards

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
24VGliGuy said:
Do they know that carbon fiber shatters when it is impacted. The last thing I want is to hit something in the road and the CF pan shatters. Not only would not stop the impact, it would pose an extreme road hazzard to any trailing drivers.

Ever seen a crash in F1, there is carbon fiber everywhere afterwards
And possibly your engine if the debris bounces upward.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
my only concirn would be that it was to strong

i mean if it got snaged or something it might rip the mounts right off you car ( the plastic ones up front and the metal ones in the back)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i think the OE one does its purpose very well, if it was only cheaper. It would suck to replace more than just the belly pan under the car. Thats why it tears away

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
All these compounds would be too expensive for a belly-pan/skid plate.

A good treated steel or aluminum one would do just fine.

There's a company who makes these skid-plates for B5 Audi A4's and Touaregs.

http://www.dieselgeek.com

I wonder will these skid-plates fit B5 and B5.5 Passats.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Aluminum one for 1.8 (V6 they do not make) sold from VW(like option to OE plastic one) cost in Moscow roughly 550 USD :crazy: :cry:

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
The Swami said:
All these compounds would be too expensive for a belly-pan/skid plate.

A good treated steel or aluminum one would do just fine.

There's a company who makes these skid-plates for B5 Audi A4's and Touaregs.

http://www.dieselgeek.com

I wonder will these skid-plates fit B5 and B5.5 Passats.
How is $2.50/sq. ft. CF material gonna end up being more expensive than that $300 aluminum Dieselgeek skid plate??????

Th reason CF is so expensive (normally) is from a combination of complex moldings - like tubes or sealed enclosures - and the finishing to ensure there are no bubbles, the surface is glossy, and the weave is straight. The belly pan is basically a flat sheet and who cares what the finish looks like.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
RL331 said:
Nenad said:
Aluminum one for 1.8 (V6 they do not make) sold from VW(like option to OE plastic one) cost in Moscow roughly 550 USD :crazy: :cry:
They have an aluminum one???
In EU VW sell them like optional accessory and looks excatly like OE plastic one with all those ducts for air,etc.
Knowing prices of Moscow dealers, I would say that in Germany should cost 10-25% less(my wild guess, never checked German prices, because they do not make for V6 4Mo)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Can someone locate those? Maybe if the price is right, they can be shipped here - I'm sure there would be lots of interest since they are OEM. Do I smell a possible GB?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
RL331 said:
Can someone locate those? Maybe if the price is right, they can be shipped here - I'm sure there would be lots of interest since they are OEM. Do I smell a possible GB?
I'll go on Friday to dealership, so I will try to catch Part#, maybe even pic with cam.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The diesel geek skid plate is for A4 Jetta/Golf w/ the TDI motor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
13 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing