Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tearing into a 2003 1.8t. P.O. had head completely redone after tb failure, screwed up timing and bent the new valves before the car ever ran, so after pulling the head noticed what seems to me like a lot of carbon buildup on the #1 cylinder wall. Is mostly at the top passenger side section of the cylinder but there is some less significant buildup in other spots. The other three cylinder walls are spotless. Is this something that can be cleaned up good and reassembled or is there anything else that can be done to address it while the head is off? Is this indicative of a bad or gunked up ring, or is there a way to test the ring with the head off?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After cleaning it I found a small spot of pitting in the cylinder wall, not sure what I'm gonna do now. Not something I planned on seeing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would about a pea size pitting spot 2/3 of the way down one cylinder render a block junk? Or at least needing a sleeve job? If it requires pulling the block, I think it’ll be a parts car with 203k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
This is what I would do: let your local engine machine shop check it to see if it can be honed out. If not, I would just get a used 1.8, since boring out will mean new pistons as well, and then you’re basically looking at a full rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts