Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the CEL come on on my '05 Passat 1.8T (around 5500 miles). Took it to the dealer and they were able to find carbon build-up in the intake valve.

They just cleared the codes to make the CEL go away, and have advised me to use gas additives like Techron, and to use 89-octane gas instead of 92-octane to make it burn hotter.

Does this make sense? Any other thoughts on the topic?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
yes it will help. the car is designed to use 91+ octane gas. i find it hard to believe that there is carbon with only 5500 miles though. you also need to get on the gas a little bit too, drive it a little harder, like mash on it when you get on the freeway, that will also help

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
sg1234 said:
Had the CEL come on on my '05 Passat 1.8T (around 5500 miles). Took it to the dealer and they were able to find carbon build-up in the intake valve.

They just cleared the codes to make the CEL go away, and have advised me to use gas additives like Techron, and to use 89-octane gas instead of 92-octane to make it burn hotter.

What CEL code did it throw? Does it show on your receipt?

You really have to wonder about a service dept telling you to run lower octane gas than factory recommendation of 91. I'd say switching brands of gas may be worth it, but I'd watch lower the octane.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What area of the country are you in?I am aware that certain areas of the country are experiencing exactly what you are describing...it is most pronounced in minnesota and on the east coast.It is attributed to fuel quality ect.

·
Registered
766 Posts
sg1234 said:

I too had the dealer advised me they were getting a lot of these problems with the carbon buildup. She advised me to run 89 grade because all we have in nc. is 87/89/93. She said the 93 grade was causing the buildup and to use a fuel system cleaner every oil change. She said to get a big bottle design for a suv so it would be stronger. That was the only thing she recommended .... oh and them to clean it was like 150.00 bucks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
If 89 Octane is equivalent to 95 RON Octane, then I would say that was about right as 95 RON is recommended for the Passat in Europe, rather than 98 RON which must be equivalent to 93 Octane.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Chilledgibbo said:
If 89 Octane is equivalent to 95 RON Octane, then I would say that was about right as 95 RON is recommended for the Passat in Europe, rather than 98 RON which must be equivalent to 93 Octane.
Does this mean that the last 7 years I've been paying extra for 93 Octane, all for naught?:icon_eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ONE8T said:
What CEL code did it throw? Does it show on your receipt?

You really have to wonder about a service dept telling you to run lower octane gas than factory recommendation of 91. I'd say switching brands of gas may be worth it, but I'd watch lower the octane.
Checked my receipt, and the CEL code was not listed.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Chilledgibbo said:
95 RON is "about" 90-91 octane. 89 is a bit low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts