264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99
5-spd
1.8T
AEB
APR 93, 100 ECU
85,000 miles
2,000 miles since oil change(changed morning of trip)
new spark plugs-BOSCH FR5DTC (also changed morning of trip)

OK here is the background.

I drove back from Phoenix last month to Columbus, Ohio. Parked my car at the in-laws-house and flew back to Phoenix to finish packing. Loaded up the van (wife, dogs, cat and birds) and started the second road trip in 2 weeks. I get back to Columbus and go retrieve the Passat from the in-laws and it won't start.
So I check the oil to see if maybe it was because the oil was in the bottom of the pan or something like that; 3/4 qt. low. I put some synthetic in to bring up to the line. I noticed alot of water towards the firewall/battery tray area. The engine would try to turn over but wouldn't "catch". It only took a few minutes of trying to start the car and the battery went dead. I've never changed the battery, so I bought a new one. With the fresh battery the engine sounded like it really WANTED to start but, for some reason, just wouldn't.

Thinking that maybe the starter didn't have enough juice to spin the flywheel fast enough I called a buddy of mine and we tried push starting it. Hands and feet didn't work so we used my van to push the car to 30 mph and then pop the clutch. It started for about a second and then stalled. My buddy said it sounded like it wasn't getting fuel. I also noticed blue-ish gray smoke coming from the exhaust when it briefly started.

Now it seems like maybe the ecu got fried and wasn't sending the signal to the fuel pump to give the car gas when it started up. So I unplugged the ecu and plugged it back in. When I did this I heard what think is fuel purging in the system.

Now I'm at a loss. My next plan is to see if I can get a hold of a stock ecu for a 1.8t aeb and see if maybe my ecu is to blame. Not sure if a VAG-com would help since the car won't start but maybe there are codes that can be pulled.

I don't know what to do next.

Hopefully if you've read this far maybe there are some other things I can do before having it towed to the Stealership for an unknown problem.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
take a plug out and see if it is fouled, all wet and black.
if so change them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headed that way now.

No internet connection at the new place right now so all of my correspondence is done at the library(hehe).

thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plugs were a little fouled I just replaced them to make me feel better. The culprit I believe is a bad fuel pump. I popped the cover and had someone turn the key but no wurring or buzzing noise from the pump. So I popped the wire harness off to see if it was getting any power and my DMM read .245 volts between pins 1 and 4.

Just out of curiosity before I buy a new fuel pump does anyone know if that is what it should read? I looked through my Bentley and it just says to check for voltage; no value to compare it too.

Would anyone be willing to measure their voltage and report back?

I'm looking for:
cranking voltage(voltage DMM reads when turning the key all the way)
and
voltage when key is in on position

·
Registered
6 Posts
fuel pump ???

Hi
First you must check the fuel pump relay. Take it out and clean the contacts and push it back in properly. Can you borrow another relay?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Check fuel pump fuse 28 if you haven't with the DMM. On the fuel pump connector, you should get battery voltage across pins 1 and 4. If you don't get battery voltage and fuse 28 is good, check relay 208 - the fuel pump relay by pulling and jumpering 12 volts across the coil (labeled 15 and S) and see if the contacts close ( labeled 30 to 87a and to 87f) with the DMM. You should also be able to hear / feel relay 208 pick up when the ignition switch is turned on. If relay is also good, then check if positive is on the relay 208 socket connector 17 (relay pin labeled 30) and with ignition switched on positive is on socket connector 19 (relay pin labeled 15). Connector 17 is tied to the positive screw connector 30 and 30a on the relay panel. Positive to connector 19 comes from the ignition switch. If relay does not energize in its socket, positive is on the relay terminals, and the relay is okay when you pull it, then it could be the ECM which is connected to the other side of the coil and grounds the coil to energize it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Forgot, if you have water in the cowl area where the battery is, you need to clean the two drains out. One is under the battery and the other is towards the ECM housing under the brake booster.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I checked the fuse (28) and it is good. I even switched it with a new one just to make sure. I checked the fuel pump relay (208) and it works. I could hear the contacts clicking shut when I turn the key to try to start the car but no noise from the pump. I re-checked pins 1 and 4 and got 11.7 volts when cranking the engine( which is what I'm supposed to get).
So I ordered a new fuel pump. It won't be here 'til Saturday. Can't wait. I've been with out my car since the end of August. i do miss it so :cry: :mad:

Need to check the drains. Thouugh I don't think there was water in the whole battery/cowl area I do remember it being on the battery and down by the metal piece that clamps it down. Memory doesn't serve me well right now.

Well, Wish me luck on the fuel pump install!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts