Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had running issues with my 2003 V-6 for a few weeks. Then randomly it wouldn't start. It turns over fine but it won't fire. I decided to try a new coilpack. It will be the 3rd one that has been put on in the past five years. After I replaced it the car ran great and started every time. Now it is back to randomly not starting after only a few weeks. Do I need to have a professional / dealer look at it? I think all three of the replacements were aftermarket. If you try over and over it finally starts. It might take ten minutes, it might take an hour.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Before throwing a bunch $$ for coil packs I'd suspect the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) or the CTS (coolant temperature sensor) both of which can cause a no start condition.
Are you able to scan the vehicle with VCDS?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
AutoZone will scan for free. It'll be generic codes but it could prove useful.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
A failing engine speed sensor will not always throw a code. Mine didn't until it completely died and would not start. When it won't start, does the dash show any rpm movement while cranking?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I'm not a real technical guru with all things VCDS, but can't you check the CTS and CPS output signals to see if the sensors are faulty?

I know you don't have VCDS, but if someone is nearby that would scan for you. I used to have people come over to my house quite often and I'd scan their car for free.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,297 Posts
So wet OR dry it might be ignition?? I'm thinking wet makes a little more sense.
I think they mean if dry, it's a fuel issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not a real technical guru with all things VCDS, but can't you check the CTS and CPS output signals to see if the sensors are faulty?

I know you don't have VCDS, but if someone is nearby that would scan for you. I used to have people come over to my house quite often and I'd scan their car for free.
I am in search of in the southern Minnesota/northern Iowa area. I am leaning toward an ignition problem.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The coil packs on the V6 are seldom a problem. But, make sure you’ve also reconnected the small wire that goes off to the right, and not pinched or broken it, as has sometimes happened during replacement.

What have been problems are the plug wires. If yours are the originals, at this age I would just replace them with a set of NGKs while you wait for other diagnostic info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love my Passat wagon! I ordered a VCDS that is two days past due and now seems lost. Until I receive it I only count on my car starting first thing in the morning. I leave it running for any and all short stops, even going out to eat. Anything else is a gamble at this point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts