Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i guess its bound to happen one day no matter what you dive.

Went to leave from work last night at about 8:30, its cold as hell here in chicago, about -8. Tried to start the car, and wtf, it wont turn over. Didnt have any problems that morning or any other days this winter.

Try again for the next 20 min, and its a NO GO. Ran the bat down somehow i thought because it was very low on power. So i need a jump i think. 30min later im at the store buying jumper cables. The bat was low, but that didnt get the car started either.

It just tries to turn over but wont. Im not sure whats wrong and i hope it dosent cost me a boat load of cash that i dont have.

Its a 99B5, just had the timing belt dont a month ago.

Anyone have any ideas to what would make it not start.
It at the shop right now, but i would like to have a good idea of what could possibly be the problem, just incase the shop says it wont start because the headlight fluid is low or something, lol. Anyone remember that joke.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long did you charge it? Try longer. Usually in cold weather the battery freezes up and if that happen maybe the battery need to warm up or needs a longer charge. Maybe like Kenny Payne said your gas could be frozen. Well since it's at the shop they should find the problem, lets just hope they don't try to fix things that are fine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote=" lets just hope they don't try to fix things that are fine.[/quote]

This is what I really do hope. Im still recovering from the hit i took when i got my timeing belt done last month, i cant take too much more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's the cure for a frozen fuel line, so I'll know next time?

That might have been my no start problem but there were ICM troubles as well. Unrelated, I think.

The tow truck driver was able to get my car started by boosting the battery (even though it was recently charged at Autozone) and pressing on the throttle? He was doing something in there. It cost $35.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Is it a 1.8t? Pull a spark plug. If it is fouled, pull them all and clean them or replace them. Put things back together and go for it. I just had a similar problem, and $25 worth of plugs later I was good to go. Well, I replaced the battery first, but that wasn't the problem. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Kenny, I got some fuel line antifreeze last night, and have instructed my wife to always keep the gas tank near fuel.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My B5 won't start either! Maybe it's something in the air out in Chi-Town :poke:

Well the -30 wind chill can't be helping too much....can frozen fuel do much damage? I think we usually keep it pretty high on fuel, and I thought that that helps it keep from freezing. Or maybe it's just too damn cold....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
mine won't start either. I should have held the key over that extra second when I thought it had started the first time. But it killed and then wouldn't start. I am going to try to wait a half hour and see if it will start then. If not, I'll get the whole family down here and have them bring my other set of plugs. My battery is new, so hopefully it will last thru this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe it needs "degaussing". See the related thread in the Mobile Electronics forum.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i got it towed around to the shop, they put the bat on a charger and it started right up :shock:

So thats good that theres nothing wrong with it, but i tried to jump the car for over an hour last night and it wouldnt do anything. Go figure. I must be an moron and cant jump a car. :nervous:

But all is well, :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Speakin of morons, I was jumping my MR2 once, and I put the negative wire on the side where there was a big '-' symbol. When it didn't work I tryed it again till smoke started coming out. Here the '-' symbol was a screw driver slot... near the positive terminal! Never any sign that I hurt anything, but shows how the simplist things can be pretty hard for some of us.

Well my car started after I waited about 40 minutes. Must have been just enough time to let some fuel disappear...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
ganseg
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing