Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week my battery died and I needed to jump it. Since then the car has started fine and has been fine. Tonight I tried to start my car and nothing happened. I could hear the click but the engine wasnt trying to turn. However it seemed like the car was getting battery. I had someone come jump it but it still didn't turn or even try to turn. But I could hear the starter click. Honestly I have no idea what's going on. It's hard because right now I'm doing doordash while I look for a new car.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A nuclear tech would say measure first. Put a voltmeter on the battery and report what happens when you try to start the car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My favorite answer for this type of problem is make sure the battery terminals and cables are clean and tight. Ie, get one of those little brushes and get both the posts and inside of the cables shiny clean.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When you jumped the car did you connect directly to the battery terminals? I've had cars where I couldn't jump them from ground, in other words connecting the negative cable to the body didn't work and I had to connect it directly to the negative terminal on the dead battery. Most jump manuals don't advise you do that because recently vented battery gasses can be ignited by the spark of connecting it and supposedly explode the battery. However that seems like an old tale because I would expect any modern battery is going to have some type of mesh in its vent to prevent a flash path so even if outside gas does ignite it shouldn't flashback into the battery.

Also if the starter is going bad you can hit it on some cars (like with a block of wood or something) to make it work at least temporarily. I'm not sure if that applies to VWs though I would research it if it comes to that.

One thing I never miss a chance to do when anything goes wrong is use VCDS and see what codes are there. In the VWs there are internal codes that are set off but they don't turn on the check engine light. Personally that would be my next move if a jump didn't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2004 passat b5.5 1.8t. The car has the battery to power all the auxiliary functions like headlights and when I turn the key there isn't any dimming of those things. The car only clicks there's no attempt to turn it over. We connected the cables to ground and directly to the negative.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just one solid click or do you sometimes get clickety,clickety? One solid click with nothing else could be a bad starter. Try hitting it with something like a wooden dowel rod or broomstick while you turn the key over. And do be sure to clean the battery terminals as well.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
believe it's the starter.... if you can get a looksie at nose of starter,take a pic ,copper shunt between solenoid and starter motor , corrosion comprimised or brushes., It probably started with jumping as just that little bit extra of juice got the electricity to make a connection

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
believe it's the starter.... if you can get a looksie at nose of starter,take a pic ,copper shunt between solenoid and starter motor , corrosion comprimised or brushes., It probably started with jumping as just that little bit extra of juice got the electricity to make a connection "jump" to continuity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts