Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove to work in the morning and it started fine. Met a friend for lunch and it started fine. Went to a resturant, ate lunch, came out an hour later and it wouldn't start. All electronics work fine, it just won't turn over. Starter is not engaging. Tried to jump the battery - nothing. Checked all the fuses and they were fine. I left the car and decided to came back later.

Went back five hours later and it started only after I put it in neutral and then back into park while holding the key in starting position. Got it home to mess with it this morning. Battery seems fine, so I jumped relay 186 to 204 and it started.

Does this mean the relays are bad or something else?

My Passat is a 1999, 1.8T, tip

TIA!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Before you buy any relays, you should do some testing. Sounds to me like it might be your neutral safety switch or maybe relay 204 hanging up. Try jumpering the contact on relay 204 only and see if it starts when the problem exists. If it does then relay 186 is probably okay. If it doesn't start, then relay 204 is probably okay. Also check the continuity of the neutral switch by measuring resistance from the connector socket for pin 6 (relay 204 terminal labeled 85) of the relay to ground as you move the gear shift lever from PRN. Also, with the relay pulled put 12 Volts across its coil and see if it operates. Pry cap off and look at the relay contacts. Schematics can be found here by selecting electrical equipment in the left column and following links to wiring diagrams in english designated by (eng.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts