Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
ok! i am going to get my car from them today.... and check wiring from starter, fuses and relays under the hood next to the ecu. and this did take place when it got warmer. so hopefully its a solder issue. thank you everyone for your suggestions i will let you all know how i fair.

pray for me lol:thumbup:
cChief22 has gone through a few threads diagnosing starting issues.

Also try cleaning your grounds.

https://www.passatworld.com/forums/...ruise-works-no-other-lights-no-obd-codes.html
https://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-garage/563585-dreaded-turn-key-nada.html
https://www.passatworld.com/forums/...2-8l-atq-125k-miles-p0150-vs-p0155-issue.html

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
reason I asked is climate can influence things but age and mileage sorta points me in certain directions, I ask about engine too because although I have "crawled,twisted,wedged " around the 2.8s,am much more familiar with the 1.8s and the B5.5 s as yours is , electrical is the hardest thing to diagnose as it is most times intermittent in nature. I wish I was more computer/cad savvy as would make/draw up a flow chart. But given your car,climate, engine,mileage,and symptoms and not knowing the repair or part replacement ,my guess is it is between the ignition switçh and starter.....I know the response from everyone is "No shit Sherlock" I am laughing too, but the serious question is what and where to start. So I assume wires do not wear out, so path of starting goes as such: 1.) ignition switch, 2.) #12 relay , 3.) #13 relay (PND) switch , 4.) starter solenoid, 5.) starter motor. You push started it correct? ,so that tells me that the ignition switch is at least partially working but the part that energizes the starter part MAY be bad,not uncommon. It started that morning so ignition switch works(ed) maybe intermittently but it worked. So now where do I start? no pun intended ,easiest point to dianose and rule out is the actual starter itself, SAFETY FIRST jack up and snake your way to the starter,large lead(cable) goes to #30 terminal on end of starter solenoid, bayonet style push on connector #50 (small wire) . Cable comes directly from battery, small wire from relay #12 or #13 (don't have my Bentley in front of me, pullmoff small wire and with a jumper wire from terminal #50 on solenoid ,connect to cable/#30 terminal. Starter should engage, SAFETY FIRST ,out of gear!!! front wheels off ground (four mo. all wheels off) ,if starter doe not kick on ,it is your starter especially if never replaced, you can tell by wear and tear...... there is a small braid of copper (called a shunt wire) which goes between starter body itself and solenoid (which also is a large switch inside) , these corrode away, may work when cold (conduct current) but when hot don't fair as well . Let me know how it goes....... as to the "shunt" corroding and failing it is also known to many as "Chief's Syndrome" being in the rust belt salt city,I have had this happen to me ((various vehicles) 3 or 4 times

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
aside from being the brushes worn out inside the starter ,physically look at that 1/2" to 1" inch long shunt wire carefully ,if it does not look congruent/healthy for lack of a better term it is suspect, you might be able with a light and mirror be able to get a looksie at it before going deeper, unhook ground on battery.Welded mirrors a distinct possibility! Also as previous poster correctly suggested check engine to frame grounds as the starter gets it ground (other side of electricity) from the fact it is bolted to to engine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
physically look at that 1/2" to 1" inch long shunt wire carefully ,if it does not look congruent/healthy for lack of a better term it is suspect, you might be able with a light and mirror be able to get a looksie at it before going deeper, unhook ground on battery.Welded mirrors a distinct possibility! Also as previous poster correctly suggested check engine to frame grounds as the starter gets it ground (other side of electricity) from the fact it is bolted to to engine.
Stsrter Grounds.jpg

For your viewing pleasure. sorry that's for the 2.8L

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
close enough to illustrate whats going on down there, although that starter appears to have seen better days the shunt "appears" intact albeit green from envy , er I mean corrosion

·
Registered
2006 Jetta 2.5
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with a Passat 2.5 I recently purchased with 125000 miles. The problems started when I was driving and it would suddenly die. The first few times it occurred I was able to get it start again. Last week it stalled and failed to restart. The engine cranks over but does not fire. I Towed it home and when I got home it started/ran fine. I replaced the fuel pump hoping that would help. About a week later the same thing happened, it died and would not start. I towed it home and when I got home it started, but died after a minute. Now it will not start. It turns over but will not fire. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and turned it over but it did not fire so I' guessing it's not fuel related. I checked the fuel rail and it sprays a little fuel when I press the schrader valve. I checked the crank position sensor and it appears to have been recently replaced (possibly by the previous owner). Perhaps he installed a crappy one. Got any suggestions? When I bought the car there was a rattle in the catalytic converter. I gutted the cat and that took care of the rattle. Maybe the ECM is not allowing the car to start since the O2 readings are off? I sprayed the MAF with cleaner and now I'm considering cleaning the throttle body assembly. Thoughts?

·
Registered
28,208 Posts
I suspect you need to be in the B6 or B7 forum as the 2.5 was not sold in a B5.

Reactions: VAGguy
41 - 50 of 50 Posts