VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 906 018 BH
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0008
Software Coding: 07551
Work Shop Code: WSC 53141
1 Fault Found:
16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00 - -

Then this morning the car will turn over then immediately dies. I'm guessing the hose I read about in related threads has come apart entirely and the car isn't getting enough air from where ever it comes from??

Any thoughts? Pics of possible culprits would be greatly appreciated.

I never did find pics of the hose people mentioned.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
argh update.

Replaced the hose with what I was able to get from the local auto store. Why don't more places carry silicone hose? For crying out loud.

At any rate the hose is on but a little bigger in diameter than the old one. Would a larger diameter keep the car from running? I checked the Vag-com just the no codes... the car starts but dies right after. THe hose is on tight, tugging doesn't dislodge it.

The hose was behind the engine along the firewall. The black rubber braded guy for the secondary air system.

Any thoughts?

Beuller?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
jwilker said:
argh update.

Replaced the hose with what I was able to get from the local auto store. Why don't more places carry silicone hose? For crying out loud.

At any rate the hose is on but a little bigger in diameter than the old one. Would a larger diameter keep the car from running? I checked the Vag-com just the no codes... the car starts but dies right after. THe hose is on tight, tugging doesn't dislodge it.

The hose was behind the engine along the firewall. The black rubber braded guy for the secondary air system.

Any thoughts?

Beuller?
You should be able to get a rubber hose from Pep Boys and just use nylon zip ties to clamp it. Do you know the inside diameter size?

If I haven't had so many Tequila reposado, I'd drive to where you are. I'm just chillin in the house because of the rain, my golf tournament was cancelled so I opened a nice bottle. :wink:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to clamp it down using he clamps that you screw to tighten. THey seem pretty well on there. But still there car only starts then dies. No sputtering or anything just dies like it stalled or was turned off

LOL thanks! well at least one of us having a good saturday LOL

·
Registered
272 Posts
clean out your throttle body for some reason I was getting that code and cleaning the TB out and readapting fixed it, almost might want to pull your plugs and make sure they aren't soaked, once they get wet, it won't run for crap.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oy.

Cleaned throttle body.
Checked plugs. Really gunky, not sure what the cause of that is. It's a rust colored substance. Replaced plugs
Did a TB alignment

Now she can't even turn over. tries and tries but no joy. Any more thoughts before I call the shop?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
jwilker,

First off, which hoses did you replace? If they were just the turbo vaccum hoses (Can't remember if you are a 1.8t or 2.8 v6), then that would not have any impact on your starting the car. I ran mine for two months with no turbo while troubleshooting turbo issues and you would be seeing a CEL too.

If other hoses, that could have something to do with this. Are you still getting the same fault code?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking the battery is ok, it's only like 10k miles old or so. And the starting doesn't sound like a dead battery.

It was a hose from behind the manifold (secondary air intake I think??) to right under the manifold near the oil dip stick. It's replaced and very tight now

Haven't gotten a fault code again, but then again I haven't had the engine running since then so probably can't get a fault yet

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. It's not cranking at all now or cranking but not catching?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
John,

With all that starting and no go, it is possible that your battery is not putting out enough. Do you have a charger or have you tried jumping with another car battery. May help. Other than that, I am lost myself since you've replaced the plugs and cleaned the TB, etc.

Anyway, try it and let us know.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Some more ideas...

- A defective coolant temperature sensor
- car wash syndrome - (try this - Turn key to ON, push throttle all the way to the floor, turn key to start.) (you could also try this... remove the gas cap, then turn the key while flooring the gas pedal... i don't know if these "tricks" work)
- can you hear the fuel pump
- Out of gas
- Low oil pressure
- Bad fuel pump (or fuel pump fuse)
- Coil pack \ ICM
- Loose voltage supply wire \ Low voltage

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hey John,

My wife actually had the exact same symptoms (no counting the fault code) with her Saab 9-5 a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being a starter module that shorted out.

I'm not saying that this is your issue, but it could be similar. I honestly don't know that starter system for the B5 that well, so I couldn't rule somthing similar out.

Good luck! I hope you figure it out soon and get back to loving your ride again.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
jwilker said:
Yeah cranking but not starting. I'll try to jump tomorrow. Will it cause any trouble i the battery is not drained to jump it?

Thanks guys
Nope, just make sure you connect the jumper cable properly. Also if in doubt, read the manual re: jump starting. Good luck!

*I still can't drive as I am legally drunk. (Blame jwil and postman for all that Tequila talk!)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You bet John. You'd do the same for us.

Any luck yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
coloradob5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing