Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fixed a crack in my fuel line and now my car won't start 1.8t standard transmission
Engine clicks but nothing happens. When I was fixing the nick in the line gas dripped out of the line possible that air got into the line.
what can I do to diagnose/fix?
Vehicle door Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system

that was the before picture from the firewall.

I kept trying to crank the engine and got STOP engine oil error. Checked the oil level it was in the right spot.
EDIT
Engine cranks
12.4V at the battery
3.5V at fuel pump when accessory
10.5V at fuel pump when cranking
fuel pump relay works
spark plugs were replaced 5-8k miles ago.
Unfortunately I am up in the mountains and can't go to the auto store to get some starter fluid to test, also don't have fuel pressure guage.

car started yesterday when i was finding the leak.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
when you say "clicks" do you mean the sound of the solenoid on the starter ?just one click when you turn key? of a vibrating/chatter? Did you leave lights, key, door , or something on when you fixed line , first check battery and connections, mere coincidence of gas line and failure to start IMHO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I believe it is the starter clicking but engine doesn't turn. It's not a rapid fire click like when the battery is dead. My headlights and blower motor turn on full power voltage at the battery is 12.4V

3.5V at the fuel pump on accessory
10.9V at the fuel pump when cranking.
1.5 ohm's at the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
solenoid has a little wire braid that goes from solenoid to starter, they go South in bad climates salt,snow/cold/heat/salt etc.,(just recently was a posted pic on forum of this exact failure, however doubt if yours is bad,being in a great climate NorCal !, but you can take a look with little mirror and maglite, it's above the A/C compressor, there is a plethora of info on that and other "starter" troubles in the search archives, how many miles on car? , What do you think ?, very ironic that gas line and no start? I try when trouble shooting these problems to work from the "endpoints" of a "chain" of components, I guess next step is to make sure the click is indeed the solenoid and not something else, there are two wires going to/from starter, a large lug/cable which goes from positive battery terminal (in conjunction with main power cable) ,you can follow it from battery valence passenger side down along and under airbox. The other is a small wire to solenoid,it attaches with simple bayonet connector, lime green insulating "hood" , they are I believe wire numbers #30 and # 50 if you have a Bentley, cannot remember which one is what only the numbers. Usually a stater does not go completely...just stop.... they usuallly will give you a couple more starts when cooled down,wacked if it is the brushes that are worn, just enough contact will get a spark to jump, 12 volts not always enough to get electrons/continuity to jump the minute air gap .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If the engine is turning over but not starting I would suspect you have air in the fuel line.

Have you tried cycling the fuel pump? Turning ignition on but not starting. Do this 4 or 5 times then try to start.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
ok. For future members that may come across this thread in researching...

Cranking means that the starter engages and spins the engine.
Starting means that the engine fires up to run on it's own after being cranked over by the starter.

All I can think of is that you may need to crank it a little more to purge the air in the line. I see no other reason for it not to fire up. Even when you do get air in the lines, it should kind of purge itself via the return line. Maybe try to remove the Fuel pressure regulator or just crack it loose to see if you have pressure in the rail?

EDIT: Eh, JJ beat me to it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have a way to check pressure on the fuel line? At this point there should be some fuel through the new line as you've tried starting a few times. I swapped a fuel pump once and the truck wouldn't start, I was pulling my hair out then when I checked the fuel line to see nothing was running through it I realized the pump was doa, swapped it out again and was back on the road. Double check all the fuel line connections too. Sometimes it can be a simple error.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
I was able to test my theory on the system self purging the air on Sunday. My fuel line had cracked at the bracket on the firewall a couple of years ago. I made a substandard repair with just a hose and a couple of fuel hose clamps. Well, every time it got cold, it would constantly weep enough to drip onto the hot cat. Removed the line from the fuel rail and flared both ends of the hard line before replacing the hose section and clamps. Tight as a drum. There was then an air gap of about .75m of line that had no fuel in it. Turned the key to on for a couple of seconds for the pump to prime and then she started right up like nothing happened.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I checked both my Passats for this problem and both of them look fine. There is still about 1mm of foam rubber between the screw threads and the hard line. However....seeing these photos makes me think I should do something pro-actively rather than wait for it to become a problem.

Is this something that happens to every Passat eventually? Can I just file down the threads on the screw or cover it with JB Weld or something so it is smooth and won't wear through the fuel line? What is the official VW fix? Or am I just paranoid? :crazy:

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
Mine was not due to wear-thru. It was just cracked, possibly due to vibration and engine movement. Broke right at the bubble like the OP's picture.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I checked both my Passats for this problem and both of them look fine. There is still about 1mm of foam rubber between the screw threads and the hard line. However....seeing these photos makes me think I should do something pro-actively rather than wait for it to become a problem.

Is this something that happens to every Passat eventually? Can I just file down the threads on the screw or cover it with JB Weld or something so it is smooth and won't wear through the fuel line? What is the official VW fix? Or am I just paranoid? :crazy:
gas.....catalytic converter...... paranoid also,I checked mine a year ago on a similar post, and am still not convinced that it is O.K. let me know what preventive measures you take

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.