Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

car STILL will not start QUICK QUESTION BEFORE TOWED!!!!!!!

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Slider 
#1 ·
My 2003 GLS sedan with manual transmission and about 32,600 miles will not start. Worked fine this morning.

Symptoms: I turned the key, the first time, the starter cranked, the engine caught, I put it in neutral, started to take my foot off the clutch and it died. After that the starter cranks but the engine will not turn over.

I have a Wett chip, K&N air filter, N75J.

Last weekend I installed a Dieselgeek short shifter and just this past Saturday (2 days ago) I installed a boost gauge.

Please help. I spend too much time at work as it is and now I'm stuck here.

Thanks!

#2 ·
When the starter cranks, does your boost guage move?

Also, verify that your belts rotate when you try to start the engine. I used a marker to mark mine, just to make sure it was moving.

#3 ·
Do you have an alarm ? maybe the 555u is not working correctly and it lost the program for your keys locking out the others. Check to see if your coil packs are secure, as sometimes they might move, esp since some of them do not come with screws anymore to hold them down. Any check engine lights?

#4 ·
Johnny said:
When the starter cranks, does your boost guage move?

Also, verify that your belts rotate when you try to start the engine. I used a marker to mark mine, just to make sure it was moving.

When the starter cranks the gauge moves from 0 to -2. The belts are rotating.

DuttyB5nyc wrote Do you have an alarm ? maybe the 555u is not working correctly and it lost the program for your keys locking out the others. Check to see if your coil packs are secure, as sometimes they might move, esp since some of them do not come with screws anymore to hold them down. Any check engine lights?

The alarm light on the door is not on and I did not set off the alarm. The coil packs are firmly in place. When I turn the key, all the dash lights come on and then go off except for the one that looks like an engine, the one that reads "EPC" and the one that looks like a battery.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

#10 ·
quality_sound said:
hmmmm.....It's nice to see you abused your car for my benefit. :lol: j/k I would think if the key was in the ignition and in the "run" position then the ECM wouldn't care. Oh well, no need to keep abusing cars to satisfy my curiosity. :D

Paul :thumbup:
Ya...
I went out and tried it once... just to satisfy my own curiousity. Key was in the run position, headlights were on, nobody was around, and down the hill I rolled. Dropped her into second gear and let out the clutch. Nothing but a hopity-hop, hop, hop. Then I said f*ck this, and started it up and drove it around the block to show it some loving.

Jimmy :)

#13 ·
Fuel pump fuse? Number 28 IIRC from my fuel filter swap. Tha would cause the above mentioned symptoms. Cranking and starting then dying right away after a couple seconds. Not a common failure though. You still at work?! :nervous:

#14 ·
JimmyDee said:
Push start doesn't work on fuel injected cars...
Damn, that sucks being stuck at work.
Sure it does. I used to roll start my '90 Honda CRX Si all the time.

-Craig

#15 ·
danteshors said:
Fuel pump fuse? Number 28 IIRC from my fuel filter swap. Tha would cause the above mentioned symptoms. Cranking and starting then dying right away after a couple seconds. Not a common failure though. You still at work?! :nervous:

stealth and dante...

I was guessing it might be a fuel issue. My wife was kind enough to pick me up when she got off work. (She has an '03 variant so I still got to ride in a Passat).

I will check the fuse when she takes me to work. Anyone know what size fuse I need? I'd like to pick one up on the way to work.

Note to self: Buy several fuses of different sizes and keep them in the car in case of emergency.

#16 ·
Slider said:
Note to self: Buy several fuses of different sizes and keep them in the car in case of emergency.
How long have you been a VW owner? ;)

Fuel pump fuse or dead battery. If the starter cranks strongly, it's not he battery. Definitely sounds like a fueling issue.

#17 ·
Actually, if this problem turns out to not be caused by my modifications, it will be the first problem I've had with my Passat. If it turns out to just be a fuse and not something more serious, I hardly think its VW's fault.

Now that I've written that I am certain to experience multiple, sequential, catastrophic malfuntcions for the remainder of the car's life :)

#18 ·
JimmyDee said:
dgabler said:
I dont have a stick but have you tried a push start? (ahh the memories) hopeefully you can get home soon!
Push start doesn't work on fuel injected cars...
Damn, that sucks being stuck at work.

Jimmy :)

Sure it does. I killed the battery two years ago and roll started down the hill with the key turned to the on position and then just popped the clutch in first gear.

joe

#19 ·
Is it possible that this is just "car wash syndrome"? I don't know why the car stalled originally; if it was just a normal stall due to being too quick on the clutch release, then the car could have flooded. Many threads talk about starting the car, moving it 10 feet out of the garage to wash it, then not being about to restart it after the wash because it is flooded. Could your problem be that simple? Just a thought...

#20 ·
jaero,

Hadn't thought of that. I did try to start it about 1 hour after the original problem with no success. I haven't had time today to got the parking garage and try to start it or check/replace the fuel pump fuse. Probably won't have time until after 5pm.

#21 ·
Crap! I check the fuse and it looks fine. Just to be sure I swapped it with another 20W fuse and still no luck.

Does anyone else have any suggestions before I call a tow truck and have my Passat taken to the dealer? I wonder whether they will blame it on one of my mods... Damn, I just don't have the time for this... or the money if it comes to that.

By the way, are there issues with tow trucks getting into underground parking garages with low ceilings?

Slider.

#22 ·
All input appreciated...

When I installed the boost gauge this weekend I tapped into the line between the intake manifold and the fpr. Could I have damaged the fpr (I never touched it)? Or, if the vac line or T-connector was damaged (crushed) could this obstruct the vacuum to the fpr and cause a situation where no fuel was getting through?

Quick response appreciated before I face the dealership.

Thanks,

Slider.

#23 ·
Don't know if I'm too late before you get towed, but do you have a spare vac hose that you could place between the manifold and the FPR, bypassing the T-connector?

#24 ·
Johnny said:
Don't know if I'm too late before you get towed, but do you have a spare vac hose that you could place between the manifold and the FPR, bypassing the T-connector?
Actually, there is a delay in being towed because I'm on the 3 floor of a subterranean parking garage with very low clearance.

I can cut a piece off the line that runs to the boost gauge and insert it in place of the T-connector. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Slider.

#26 ·
It did not work.

The T-connector and all hoses are in great shape and not crushed.

Nontheless, I removed the vac line to the boost gauge from the system and reconnected the direct connection between fpr and intake manifold. I am still getting the same symptom.

VW Roadside assistance still has not found a towing company able to reach my car.

Slider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.