Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I was doing a few things on my car today, I changed the console to a B5.5 console so I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery while I was working on it believing some ABS modules might have been in the vicinity of where I was working. I don't have the B5.5 ebrake handle and I haven't modded my ebrake yet so I just left the ebrake off, I only use it when I park anyway so I'll leave it off until tomorrow when I mod mine to fit. So I put everything back together and connect the battery. I bought a Vag-com connector on ebay a month ago and decided to try it out tonight. I grabbed my printed manual and my laptop with vista and my connector

I had downloaded and installed vag-com 3.11 so it didn't have a USB choice in the options to test. So then I downloaded 4.09 and installed followed the manual except when I plugged in the USB and windows searched for the drivers it didn't find any. I opened vag-com and options, checked USB and clicked test and it sat for 10 mins not doing anything. I tried to cancel the test but it wasn't responding, then I tried to close the program also not responding. So as usual I shut down my laptop and disconnected the cable. Then when I turned the car on just to make sure everything was OK it was acting funny. When I crank it starts but it doesn't fire right up it falters as if it's going to stall and then it fires up. Then the engine rpms are bouncing around up and down usually three times before settling down. If I rev the engine and then let off to idle the same thing it sounds like it's going to stall then it revs to about 1000 - 1100 then back down three tims then settles. My question is with my connector and vista which version of vag-com do I need? and has anyone ever experienced this before and what should I do to get things back to normal? any suggestions will help.

PS
it's a 99 AEB B5

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
You need to download / install a USB to serial converter driver so that your USB interface can communicate with the cable. After you install the driver, you need to test to see which port the cable is connected by running the test program in the VAG-COM software. Then, you will probably need to do a throttle body alignment with the VAG-COM software (forget whether you can do it with the free version). Search as their are recent threads on both issues.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great help I found it and it is all installed properly unfortunately it's too late to go give it a try right now so I'll have to go try in the morning before going to work. I found this on the ross-tech site

Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk. As always, you should refer to a Factory Repair Manual for your vehicle!

This procedure details how to perform a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) on many VW/Audi vehicles. This procedure cycles the motorized throttle body through various states (idle, part throttle, WOT) to relearn their positions. Some examples of reasons to perform a TBA:

The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected

The ECU has been removed and reinstalled

The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled

The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

In some vehicles, the car will not run correctly, or may not run at all without performing a TBA after one of the above operations. The TBA can be performed on both Drive-By-Wire (DBW or E-gas) as well as Cable-throttle cars as long as there is no Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV). If there is an ISV, then there is no motorized control of the throttle at all. Typically, '96-'99 VW/Audi have motorized Cable-throttle, and '00+ VW/Audi have DBW. Obviously, there are some exceptions. This should be obvious but TDI's do not have throttle bodies.

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

No DTC's in the Engine Controller

Battery voltage at least 11.5 V

Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)

Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).

Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on Cable-Throttle Cars:
These are cars with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

I hope the unregistered version will do it otherwise I will have to register it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I got the connector to connect and I checked fault codes on the
[Select]
[01 - Engine]

and there was one fault code
18010 Power supply terminal 30: Voltage too low
P1602 - 35- 10 ---- Intermittent

I cleared it and then I went on to follow the procedure to do the TBA

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)
[Go!]

when I get to Measuring Blocks - 08 I have three groups

Group 000
Group 001
Group 002

the numbers are highlighted blue as if I can put manual input but in the note it talks about some ECU's use Group 001 so I didn't know if I should go to Group 001 and hit go and follow the instructions or if I should manually type in 098 in one of the groups and hit go???

Help me out guys? I'm gonna register the software at work today because I wanna get this done. Also one of the conditions to do the TBA is the coolant must be between 5 and 95C I'm guessing if the car has been sitting all night it should be ok? or should I take it for a little drive 5 mins to get the coolant temp up a bit?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still wanna get this answered

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
[Go!]

when I get to Measuring Blocks - 08 I have three groups

Group 000
Group 001
Group 002

the numbers are highlighted blue as if I can put manual input but in the note it talks about some ECU's use Group 001 so I didn't know if I should go to Group 001 and hit go and follow the instructions or if I should manually type in 098 in one of the groups and hit go???

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
What do you want to do... do you want to perform
a throttle body adaptation?

------------------------------------
Throttle Body Adaptation:

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060 or Group 98
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB
adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in basic mode for about 30 seconds, then switch back to normal settings and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!
------------------------------------

Now... I'm not sure if this will work with an unregistered version of VAG-COM.
However, you can alway revert to another way which is...

Open hood, drivers door open, put key in ingition to furthest setting before
starting car (acc. setting) but don't start car, and don't touch accelerator
pedal. Wait 3 minutes... listen for buzzing noise from throttle body to stop.
Done. The VAG-COM way is probably best, but this works too.

the code...
18010 Power supply terminal 30: Voltage too low
P1602 - 35- 10 ---- Intermittent

Is merely from having the battery disconnected and can be ignored.

HTH

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I'm sorry for being confusing the DTC I figured was from disconnecting the batter so I wasn't worried about that. I've never used vag-com didn't want to screw anything up my question is should I manually set the group number? type in 98 and then click GO? When I go into Measuring Blocks there are three groups Group 000, Group 001 and Group 002 my confusion came from the fact that my vag-com info I found on the ross-tech site referred to some ECU using Group 001 so I didn't know if I'm supposed to manually put in the Group 098 or should it show up automatically?

Also from searching a thread I found this

All the above notwithstanding, DBC's will re-learn the idle values after 3 complete cold-hot running cycles, you'll just have the bouncing rpm in the idle range until complete.

So if I drive the car three times with shutdowns inbetween then I would avoid the throttlebody alignment issue? I will also try Colin's method just want to know my options here.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much :thumbup: :beer: to everyone this has helped me a great deal and it was very interesting reading through all the other threads. I like to ask rather than screw things up.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read some of the other posts on here and I don't want to beat a dead horse but thought I would put some of my information down. OK well the vag-com needs to be registered in order to do the TBA, I'm still waiting for my registration to go through.

OK it doesn't seem to matter if you pull the negative battery terminal off first and put it back on last(There was reference to this maybe being the cause that some AEB don't require TBA after battery disconnect) I pulled my negative off first and put it on back last because that is the way I'm used to doing it and it still was running crappy afterwards.

There was some thought that the length of time the battery is left disconnected may affect how severe your car runs with bouncing rpm. My battery was disconnected for about half an hour and mine was very slight it was very drivable and the bouncing idle only happend at stops after releasing the throttle after having it open during acceleration but after two or three bounces it corrected.

So since I didn't have my vag-com I just drove the car and like someone said after 3 cold-hot runs it was fine. The first run I made I was out on the highway and it was not very noticable like I said. The second run I made it was still there but to a smaller degree ie. 1st run rpm would bounce 400-500 up to 1100 and back down two or three times when coming to a stop, 2nd run rpm would bounce 600-700 and then up to 1100 two times before normal idle.

So basic jist after 3 cold-hot runs the car should start running normally depending on how severe your syptoms are if you are able to drive around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts