Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passat V6, 1999

I've been getting a P0160 code (bank 2 sensor 2) for the last 2 years. Finally got around to getting the replacement sensor - Bosch 13552. Not having the tools to do it, I had the local community college auto department change the sensor. Figured something as simple as this would not be a problem - just disconnect the old sensor, install the new sensor, thread the new cable through to the engine and plug it in.

I talked with the professor who watches over what the students do. The change went smooth. I also picked up the car and drove it 1/4 mile out to the college parking lot; it ran fine.

I just dropped my wife off to pick up the car, and it immediately started sputtering, and then died within 30 seconds. Let it sit for about 20 minutes; got the same symptoms.

The natural tendency is to suspect that the last thing that was done, in this case replacing the sensor, caused the problem. However, this might just be coincidental.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the problem, or what to look for? Does this downstream sensor have any involvement with the fuel mixture, or ?

The fact that it ran fine for 1/4 mile when I picked it up, would seem to suggest that anything that was disconnected to change out the sensor was reconnected. But then again ...

I've left the car at the community college for them to look at tomorrow.

Thanks for any input on this. I'm looking for any thoughts on what it might be, what information I might be able to pass on to the college,

OR whether its time to get it towed to my regular mechanic, or what?

I certainly don't want the students fooling around with the fuel mixture, etc. My thinking is have them look for anything obvious and if they do not see anything, then get it towed.

Thanks

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
They probably pulled the intake snorkel off to get to the wiring running down the top of the trans. Look for the flex hose section to be loose or the seal is not properly seated.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

They test drove the car (not sure how far) after the sensor was installed. I also drove it 1/4 mile when I picked up the key.

If it might be the intake snorkel, why woud it be ok initially, but an hour later have the problem?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Issue resolved.

Here is feedback from the instructor:

The intake duct had slipped off at the engine side. The clamp was probably out of position on the bottom when the student installed it. I made sure all was positioned correctly and tight now. We drove it again. All should be fine.

Tbanks PZ and Tomvw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.