Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If you remove the electrical cable to the throttle body, the ECU in conjunction with input from the accelerator pedal looses its programmed relationship between the two. The reason I ask about the "fill up,gas tank" is, if indeed your fuel pump is acting up it will tend ( not saying for sure or always) ,to take longer to fail/act up do to the cooler gas keeping it cooler. It sounds crazy but when the pump is on the cusp of failure these little factors can make a difference, just enough to to be intermittent in nature making diagnosis darn near impossible. Have you tried the manual closing of the fuel pump relay with your fingers when these failures occur to see if you can hear the fuel pump ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you remove the electrical cable to the throttle body, the ECU in conjunction with input from the accelerator pedal looses its programmed relationship between the two. The reason I ask about the "fill up,gas tank" is, if indeed your fuel pump is acting up it will tend ( not saying for sure or always) ,to take longer to fail/act up do to the cooler gas keeping it cooler. It sounds crazy but when the pump is on the cusp of failure these little factors can make a difference, just enough to to be intermittent in nature making diagnosis darn near impossible. Have you tried the manual closing of the fuel pump relay with your fingers when these failures occur to see if you can hear the fuel pump ?
Yes I have tried the manual closing of the relay when the car wont start and it doesn't help, it's being prevented from sending power to the fule pump. even went as far as to find a 12V batterie and wire it to the fule pump so I could show it who's the boss and I was pumping fule then. Still not getting the engine to fire tho.I have the sneaky suspicion that there is somthing else wrong with a sensor or perhaps the oil slugs I've recently read about that's sending a signal to the ECU (think that's correct) to shut the car down to try and prevent serious damage. And I say this because 2,000 rpm seems to be the magic number. If I get close to or below that I cant revive the engine without dropping gears and popping the clutch. At that point she's dead until cooled down to almost completely at 0. Also if anyone has any input I recently got a message on my display that said Emissions Workshop??? Any idea what that's all about?? So in fallowing upon the throtlebody are you saying to leave the electrical cable connected when pulling it off the intake and cleaning it that way??
That is on today's agenda, as well as replacing the other oil sensor I have two and dont recall which one is which, but it's the one on the oil pan. Also doing a little seafoam action and scrubbing manually any buildup on oil pump screen and changing filter. And coolent bleed. Also I might note that since the emissions workshop came up the kid I bought the car from aparently likes the Fart can muffler or lack there of sound it makes when you cut out the muffler. So theres that.
Thanks again to All advise. Much Appreciated
Ruffis the Duffis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok so after working on this beast All day doing a Seafoam crankcase and gasoline treatment, oil change, replaced the oil level sensor, which I may add had damage to it and when I Ohm tested got a zero reading, and throtlebody pull and thorugh cleaning, and I didn't unplug the the throtlebody from electrical when I cleaned it. I didn't have time to do the coolant drain and bleed fill with new coolant. That's first on tomorrows agenda.
But the dam car is still shutting off after about 15min of driving and has warmed up. However somthing different tonight right after lucky being able to coast into a side street and park I figured what the hell try and start it right away. To no suprises she didnt start, but I did hear the fule pump kick in when the key was in the on position. But there has to be something telling the car not to start/run and it's getting to the point of considering insurance fraud!!; Joke just a joke.
But seriously I think I noticed a other sensor on the radiator any idea what that's for? Also I know that these cars have at least 4 O2 sensors an on guessing 5. Also wouldthatbeven send a signal to shut off car? Also I dont have a che k engine light.. So now to date I've replaced the coolent temp sensor, oilntemp sensor, oil level sensor, seafoamed the crank, and and added it to file system. Pulled and cleaned throttlebody, changed oil an filter, checked all relays and as far as I could tell they are all working, checked all fuses, chased down I'd say almost all grounds in engine compartment and sanded them down to make sure they have good contact, pulled up carpet and checked CCM on drivers side all good there. Redid the ground anyway, ummm cleaned the hood drains and trunk drain, I know I'm forgetting something. Either way I ain't giving up that easily. I meen what elsenos there to replace T check.
Oh and the kicker is In dont have a check engin to go with. So yah, anymore suggestions would. Great!! All i cam think left is 02 sensors and replacing thenECU
And Ingot a emmitios workshop on the dash yesterday an not sure what that about.
Thanks again to all for the help.
R.T.D.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have not but tdd hats where my head was at also with vacumeline. So planning on Ohm testing thevctank sensor today's well.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts