Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notcied just this morning that when I shift from neutral to "D" my car gives a very noticible and abrubt shift forward (it lurches but dosnt move because i have the brake applied). This is more than your normal lurch and it has me conserned. I just noticed the problem today but it may have started sooner because I was not paying attention. I did change my tranny mode to "sport" and "old style shifting" recently (2 days ago) but I dont see how that would cause the problem. This seems to me as if its a problem with the torque converter but I really am not to framilier with that subject matter. Am I due for a tranny fluid change? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Car: 2001.5 1.8T tiptronic AWM

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem since yesterday after a car wash and polish. hope someone one can help us out here. If i go through agent they probably would like me to change my gear box or something cosy... anyone have experience on this and got it fixed???/

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are awsome!!! Thanks so much. Your symtoms mirror my EXACTLY. Even the rough shift from 4th to 5th. And, I also just resently just cleaned my MAFS so it must have been the same problem. I have already ordered a new one because the cleaning didnt work but that makes me feel so much better know that hopefully that will fix it. I was worried that it would be a costly repair. Thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And an update: I plugged my MAFS back in (i was going to keep it uplugged until the new one came in) and then the shift from N to D was smooth. Thanks for the tips everyone.n Though i still dont understand how the MAFS affects how it shifts.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
With that extra sensor input, the ECU can reduce throttle so the transmission can make a smoother shift. Without it, it probably holds at whatever throttle it's at. The tranny computer probably takes inputs from it as well somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys are the BEST BEST BEST... i solved my problem right away in 2mins...
Thanks guys... GOOD JOB!!!!! Cheers....

·
Registered
61 Posts
What a day.. i thought i have solved my problem but it came back today again. Thinking of getting a new MAFS.. Anyone know whats the price for it??

Thanks..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts