Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they replaced the brake light switch - 4A0-945-515-A switch

then they said

"18803 check all DTC memories and found multuiple fualts in ECM, Climatronic and abs control modules. Cheack ignition system and misfire couter for misfire faults, none notes. check evap system for leaks, passed multiple OBD checks. zero climatronic flap motors (all). check for faults, none reset. check brake light switch and wiring. install pinout box at abs control module and check wiring all ok. replaced brake light switch, clear faults, reset readiness and rodetest ok."

I asked about the misfires, the service advisor said that random misfires are common with these cars and could be caused by many things. low oil (i told him not possible), condensation on wires or just mess-ups. Basically it sounded like he was talkin out of his A$$. Should i be worried about the random missfires.

also, i asked him why would the abs light go on for brake light switch, he said "believe it or not, that switch is connected to everything and can change a lot, when the transmition shifts gears, when the transmition engages, when the throtl is accepted, when the brakes are engaudged. Should this switch have caused my ABS not to work when the light was on and i slamed the brakes. Also could this switch have caused misfires. im really confused and kinda annoyed at the answers i got, they replace things, but seems like they replace things just to get me to shutup. maybe im wrong, but please correct me if i am

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
they replaced the brake light switch - 4A0-945-515-A switch

then they said

"18803 check all DTC memories and found multuiple fualts in ECM, Climatronic and abs control modules. Cheack ignition system and misfire couter for misfire faults, none notes. check evap system for leaks, passed multiple OBD checks. zero climatronic flap motors (all). check for faults, none reset. check brake light switch and wiring. install pinout box at abs control module and check wiring all ok. replaced brake light switch, clear faults, reset readiness and rodetest ok."

I asked about the misfires, the service advisor said that random misfires are common with these cars and could be caused by many things. low oil (i told him not possible), condensation on wires or just mess-ups. Basically it sounded like he was talkin out of his A$$. Should i be worried about the random missfires.

also, i asked him why would the abs light go on for brake light switch, he said "believe it or not, that switch is connected to everything and can change a lot, when the transmition shifts gears, when the transmition engages, when the throtl is accepted, when the brakes are engaudged. Should this switch have caused my ABS not to work when the light was on and i slamed the brakes. Also could this switch have caused misfires. im really confused and kinda annoyed at the answers i got, they replace things, but seems like they replace things just to get me to shutup. maybe im wrong, but please correct me if i am
First, WHAT did you take the car in for? ABS light only?

No, you shouldn't be worried about the misfires unless they become so reoccur so often as to throw a CEL. Change your plugs on time, and fix things when they are broken and they will never be an issue unless you mod the car all to hell. Also, if you had the WG recall done (coils) and the CEL wasn't on, the misfires could have been there since before the recall was done. VW will not pay a dealer to check or clear faults under the WG recall if the CEL is not on.

As for the ABS light, the switch definately could have caused it. It can influence shifting.

Whether you realize it or not, they did a BUNCH of work on your car.

Also whether you realize it or not, their paperwork and answers are near picture perfect. Its too bad you don't see it. It is not their fault they can't explain your painfully complex car at a level you can understand.

Last, I am NOT chewing you out. I do, however, get annoyed when someone has a dealer bend over backwards like they did for you and not appreciate it.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Yeah, if they only charged you to install and diagnose the brake switch, they did a whole lot of diagnosing to find out about the misfires, etc. Seems like they checked all connections, wires, cables, hoses, etc for all of the ABS and braking system to diagnose the whole thing. This, my friend, is very hard to come by. Keep going to this dealer because it seems to me that they diagnosed and fixed the car correctly.

:thumbup: to your dealer.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do appriciate everything they did for me, it just seemed like the stuff about the engine missfires being normal was a bunch of bull, but if it is true then :thumbup: to my dealership and :thumbdow: to vw for making such a quircky car. Misfires is not a good think in my mind, but if it wont hurt anything then i guess its not a issue

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I want to say that VW's are not the only cars that are prone to misfires from time to time. Many environmental issues inside and outside the engine can cause the occasional misfire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts