·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
you had one side or bolth?
if you had a bad cv it should be quiet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry I'm not able to tell you how to verify that they replaced them, but I'm curious to see how this thread will turn out.

I also have some clicking noises, and will most likely need to replace the entire axle, but this thread suggests that it could be something other than a CV. Interesting.

BTW KJC230, that's a great price on the axles. Too bad they don't have a price like that available for the B5.5

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it seems like a good price, but i do not know much about it so..

back to the issue..before i even ordered these, i called vw to see what the problem was, and the guy told me that it is probably to cv joint, and i had someone else confirm it too. so i ordered these and took it to vw and on the envelope to put my key in i specifically said 'clicking noise'...then when i got in my car to leave vw, i noticed they had drivin the car around for 3 miles, which makes me believe that they were listening for the noise, but it wasnt fixed..

so, can i call them up and tell them that it isnt fixed and have it done for free, or since im the one that brought the parts in and told them to install these, im the one taking the risk then?

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
If it is the CV, they will not do it for free as they did not supply the parts. You might have a bad set, but it might be something else. When does it click?
Only when turning or all of the time?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is the CV, they will not do it for free as they did not supply the parts. You might have a bad set, but it might be something else. When does it click?
Only when turning or all of the time?
it clicks all the time, but once the break is applied it stops.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
not to be an ass but are you sure they changed them?
It is for this reason that I keep a roll of round bright-orange stickers in my garage, and attach one to every single external part that I have installed on my car by the shop. Not only does it help them distinguish clean-yet-old parts from new parts on the workbench, but it also gives me an easy way to double-check and make sure they've replaced everything.

I suppose they could swap the stickers and leave the old parts in, but there would be oily fingerprints on the stickers in that case, and the stickers won't stick to oily old parts anyway.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
is that a usual issue with the cv joints, that once the brakes are applied the noise stops?
I would think that applying the brakes would transmit the vibration from dead CV joints to the frame of the car even more strongly, but in any event I know for a fact that slotted rotors will make irritating noises for the first 1000 miles or so -- EXCEPT when you step on the brakes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would think that applying the brakes would transmit the vibration from dead CV joints to the frame of the car even more strongly, but in any event I know for a fact that slotted rotors will make irritating noises for the first 1000 miles or so -- EXCEPT when you step on the brakes.
i dont have slotted rotors so that cant be the problem

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
it clicks all the time, but once the break is applied it stops.
Then it is a brake or even a wheel problem. Look into the brakes 1st.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts