Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. usually post on B 5 forum but this is in regards to my 08 Passat 2.0T FSI Lux. automatic/tip, 212K , So I am driving down the road 60 mile commute to work at about 55 minutes into drive doing 75mph, car "flinches" has a micro second stall, just enough to catch my attention but continues down the road, two or three days later about the same spot (coincidence, 1/2 mile apart) same thing BUT this time it dies , enough that I threw I threw it into neutral and restarted (do not advise to those of weak heart) and started immediately....... 10 miles further in city/town traffic dies completely again........ fast foward........now driving my B5.5 surf wagon in THE SALT ,so do some research and of course fuel pump module is suspect do to similar symptoms and failure (has a recall). Dealership far away so ordered new module, new in tank fuel pump, and relay.... now,I do not believe in throwing money at things, but with 212k. fuel pump has seen better days. Did a forensic on pump and brushes had a ton of carbon left, but so be it. Purged system and started right up. Idled for about 15 -20 minutes (noticed previously warming up before work (cold as hell) came out of house a couple of times within previous month and it had stalled, thought nothing of it) ,then me and my boy drove around neighborhood for about 40 minute and sure as crap it died after I stopped and backed into a driveway to turn around, started right up...now ready to kill it, as much as I love it, was well maintained, and a great DD/ride. So now with the fuel system replaced and confident this is not the problem or at least the components as the cause am starting over in my approach , couplemthings I am going to do is pull into garage and go through fuse boxe area in engine compartment and clean all wire terminations etc. One question is feedback to ECM for fuel pressure, there is a connection on the HPFP that is for what ?, it must be/maybe fuel pressure feedback???? and what about crank position sensor? not looking for immediate answers ,just some direction where to start looking, thanks in advance! ,regards ,Chief

·
Registered
26,835 Posts
I don't know about the B6 fuel system, but that does sound like it could be crank position sensor. Mine did not throw any codes but would stall on occasion and sometimes would not start. It's usually a cheap part on the B5.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Wow the B6 forum section. I don't think I've ever posted in here before.
Anyways Chief, I would suspect a crank sensor also.
Besides what info you PM'd me (I'll check into that also) do you have VCDS? I don't remember if you do or not.
If so, hook it up and look at the measuring blocks to see what the crank sensor signal is doing.

As far as what blocks those are, Don't quote me but I think they might be.. Groups 050 - 059: Engine Speed Control
There should be info for the following:
RPM
RPM actual
Voltage

There's more blocks with more info but those would be what I think the very least of what you need to help cipher this issue.

I'll see if can dig anything else up.

Maybe FrescoGreen1.5 will see this and post up. He's our resident electrical guru.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes got the Ross Tech lite VCDS.... so will see what I can find out this weekend.....ordered a car charger for my Dell so I can monitor on a long "ride" seems to happen after an hour of running and then hop on the turnpike where if and when and if it shuts off I can at least pull off safely and immediately see any inputs........... first things first I am going clean as best as possible previous post mentioned terminal point and fuse relay panel,. will update Monday......

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
After doing some digging around I ended up on the ShopDap website.
They have list of known problems related to the B6 Passat. There is a high pressure fuel pump that is mounted on the front of the cylinder head and is known to fail.
Mostly related to cam follower wear, such an issue as a matter of fact it completely wears through the cam follower.
I have also found reports of this issues causing catastrophic damage to engine because it was let go to long and pieces of the cam follower fall into the engine.

There is also a Fuel Pump Control Module that is mounted under the rear seat that is notorious for going bad.
Mostly related to heat issues.
It seems to have a simular symptom that your experiencing.

Check out this web link https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/vw-audi-20t-fsi-common-problems.html
Scroll down, you'll see all the common problems listed and further related reading.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brief history, bought from next door neighbor, her car died on highway,towed to dealer,diagnosed "toasted" HPFP cam follower ,worn thru, towed home..... I bought (178k. mileage) and replaced HPFP cam follower,no internal damage. 34k later and PCV, brakes etc. coil packs,battery,usual Passat maintenance.... car is a champ..... but now I have this condition,happened about 5 times so far, car going down the highway about 50-60 minutes into drive,( radio on ,heated seats on,headlights on ,blower on hi or 3/4 of setting, sometimes rear defrost might be on, car just dies ,engine stops....put in neutral coast to side restart and off we go, might happen or might not happen again. So I called dealership as it has, as you mention fuel pump control module problems, VW recall, but an hour away and who knows what would happen on way.....so.... with 212k decided to do myself .... and while I'm in there replace fuel pump as old one is probably ready to crap in the middle of BFE, filter is in the pump itself, performed surgery and released patient started and let it warm up(20 min) me and the boy took it for test spin and 57 minute in stopped to turn around and it crapped out,started up immediately...... couple things as I mentioned, on the fuel pump there is an electrical connection ,suspect it is a "input" telling ECM to send modulation/pulsed signals to fuel pump motor adjusting fuel pressure (suspect "A") , electrical connections on external fuse/relay panel in engine bay (exposed to bad environment) (suspect " B"), crankshaft position sensor (suspect "C") ....... and a host of other nefarious characters /aka gremlins

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. another suspect ,"D" , is now on the radar, with all the accessories being on ,quite a draw on a 212k mileage alternator... if.... if.... it has a spike of failure do to brushes being worn, which is a real possibility or electrical glitch in the regulator , with that, most load going on the accessories will "rob" current from the ECM for a millisecond...... and engine drops out/stops....will also try and figure out a way to imitate this occurance without damaging anything

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not too familiar with the B6 Passats having only worked on one but I will throw my $0.02 in.
Sometimes an overlooked component that can create your symptoms is the electrical portion of the ignition switch.
Sometimes the ign switch will mislead you and supply other components with power i.e. windows but cut off power to a crucial module i.e. ECM relay.
I tell people to not have a lot of keys/weight hanging on the key ring which can wear out the ign tumbler assembly or possibly swing the keys just enough to affect a bad switch.

Fuel pump relay or the ECM relay could be the cause also and should be very easy to change out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Doc.! key is insert fob style..... and have "jiggled" it to try and propagate failure.... no such luck , 212k miles and was pretty well maintained by one owner neighbor girl...... gotta find the location of the fuel pump relay as I have a new one thought it was in engine bay........, ton of fuses and relays on fuse relay chassis which is next to battery, will post pics on Monday of area to familiarize those who have not seen the B6 electrical layout. As to fuel pump itself ,new, replaced as with 212k. would assume that it is or was wearing out, did a forensic on old one as mentioned,tons of life still on brushes,windings did not look at. Of course VW had a recall on fuel pump module but dealer so far away did not want to drive so replaced myself. car still dies ,and at about an hour or so. Car has I have said died on way to work almost at same spot on commute, (high elevation) but think it was more of a time factor vs. an air pressure/density/MAF source....... 98% sure it is electrical, gotta feeling something is causing a relay(old) or overheating or contacts within relay to drop out, a fuse corroded or having marginal contact, or sensor, gonna also take a look at the crank sensor and its condition for damage or oil intrusion....thanks again will keep you posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been reading this forum for years and this is the thread that made me finally sign up and post.
I have a 2007 Passat 3.6L AWD wagon with 174,000 miles on it and I've been having this exact same problem for close to 3 years. Multiple trips to 3 different mechanics yielded no fixes. Soon I realized that all the codes that we were trying to fix were merely the result of the shutdown rather than the root cause so I stopped throwing money at it and learned to live with it.
I have no solution to offer but I will describe what I've gone thru in hopes to add to the clues.
- A couple of years ago the car started stuttering at highway speed and occasionally shutting down. After a while it started doing that also while idling. After some troubleshooting and replacing fuel pressure sensor and high pressure fuel pump a friend of mine suggested that I replace the key fob battery. I did that and the problem went away. I was so happy.
- It lasted almost a year then it started again. At first the shutdowns occurred only while idling then it started happening at highway speeds too. And it became so bad that I was about to dump the car but for whatever reason I decided to do an oil change. That caused the shutdowns/stuttering at highway speed to go away for good but the idling problem remained and it kept getting worse. So much so that I started avoiding left turns and slow country roads. All along I've been suspecting a vacuum leak but couldn't find any evidence.
- 2 weeks ago the engine acquired a loud whistle => Bad PCV valve.
- While I tried to figure out what to do (DIY or take it to a mechanic), I drove the car around for a week and the shutdowns stopped completely. So I made the correlation between the two and figured that paying a mechanic to do the work was well worth the money (and my time saved) because it would likely solve my "random engine shutdown" problem once and for all.
- I've been driving the car for a week since the PCV valve was fixed along with a new valve cover gasket (there was some oil leaking there), and it has run well without any stuttering or shutdowns.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed that that was what finally fixed the problem but i'm not ready to sing victory yet.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. ....Sorry for delay in update BUT I am glad to say I have my car, at least the "out of the blue" shut down/dying, and as if you have read the previous posts know or are aware of symptoms etc. As many other threads posted "it's the crank sensor" along with other solutions, with 200k on car I thought I would replace it ..... Put in new sensor and car was fine, no dying when warming up in morning or going down the road.......BUT then it died warming up......in traffic..... pissed off to say the least , intermittant is the worst.......so back to square one........so into the garage, making the assumption that being electrical due to it being intermittant I re-did all the buss lug connections under the hood's fuse box and noticed while noticed while running I could wriggle a relay and car would stop.....so traded places with the two #100 relays......so now on to something...... did a little googling ànd found all the fuse panels AND a small indisreet relay panel hidden behind drivers left knee area glove/nook/sunglass/cubby hole....... you drop it down/open ,bend down the plastic "stop" tab and it will drop further and swing out. there are about 5 relays the two to the far left are the ones you need to replace use top quality Audi/VW OEM ,the one to far left is #460 ,next to it #449 the left one is the main engine power and the 449 is fuel. I would also replace the one to far right ,this is a 460 also and runs the aux. power like wiper washer and cigarette power outlets..... which would occasionally not work on my car intermittantly!!! These relays get hot balls, let you car warm up ,drive around and when home (they will be hot) wriggle that far lower left one around,tap it and see what happens, replaced them all in that panel and NO problems since. Over time the heat ,pitting (due to high load),vibration and general age leads to their failure, (intermittant).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts