Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else caught this and found it sad...and I did a search of a few keywords to try to avoid a repost.

Apparently, 22 year old technical assistant Michael Lapprich was killed in a single car accident while driving the magazine's long-term test car, a 2003 Nissan 350Z. Details of the accident were not divulged.

He seemed like a bright, ambitious kid, who was an assistant hockey coach, worked for the magazine, received an associates degree in Automotive Service Technology, and was pursuing a career in nursing.

September's issue is dedicated to Mike. He shows up in two pictures in the magazine for their suspension article on page 128-130.

Prayers and thoughts to the family...a young enthusiast struck down too early in life. :(

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Oh man... I remember reading the little updates they made while testing the car.... how sad. :sad:

-alex

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
:(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That's too bad...he had a great job for a 22 year old though and he probably died doing what he loved to to...drive.

I think C&D had someone else die while testing a RennTech Benz a few years ago. He was going 198MPH on a track and the car couldn't handle it anymore...I think the downforce got messed up and the car became unstable.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
i think i remember the benz accident as well :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The other accident was Car and Driver's then senior technical editor, Don Schroeder who was 35 at the time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's right...I remembered Don Schroeder dying, but I forgot which magazine he was affiliated with. That's two down for Car and Driver.

I seem to remember another reporter being killed in Italy while testing Diablos some years ago too...but can't remember the details.

I am really hoping to find out a little more detail about what happened and how...a small combination of morbid curiosity and hoping that it doesn't fall into the "young-and-stupid driver" category.

The kid wasn't one of the editors or writers...as technical assistant, he was responsible for getting the cars and equipment to the locations for the tests and shoots. He had been the signed-up driver for the 350Z that day - so he didn't crash while performing a road test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts