Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could be the problem??? I had to change the batt. a year ago, jump it 6 months ago and now the batt. is dead. I will jump it and take it to autozone to check life and charger of batt...could I be doing something wrong???? I only drive it on weekends could sitting make it worse???
TIA
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

BTW if I change the batt. will I need a VAG-COM to get my car to work

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I don't sitting is making it worse and I don't think that you will need a Vag to make it work, but I think we should hook it up to one. I don't know why it won't work. It's not like we took anything apart.

For real, what is the cost on VAG software?
How long does the Vag-com cable run?
Can you get it in more than 6 feet lengths?

·
Registered
964 Posts
you wont need vag com to get her going, and unless your not buying fully charged batteries , sitting wont hurt it that bad, my guess is you either have a bad alternator or possibly a short somewhere.....i wouldnt waste anytime with a new battery, find the problem ! have the battery store do a alt. test to see if its working if not good luck finding that short !! they can be a biotch !

-deez

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh great :cry: :cry: :cry: . I just drove it all day and not a problem at all, is was great go today and she won't start. I just got the car in july and now not even a year later I have to change the TB and do a tranny filter change. It had a new batt. the first day I got it, it was also jumped 6 months ago. I just hope it is the wires and not anything else.

·
Registered
419 Posts
do you have an aftermarket stereo? how far do you drive it when you do drive? while it is true electrical problems are tough to track down, it may be wothwhile to start at the obvious and go from there.
you can easily check the alternator by using a voltmeter. check voltage at rest, then running. check voltage with the black wire on some metal part of the engine. if you get lower than 13 volts or so, you may be looking at a bad alternator. have a reputable mechanic take a look if you dont feel comfortable.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
you can get bad batteries. The last one I bought from the vw dealer only lasted 6 months before it had to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts