Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was heading over to the mall to buy my wife a present when I was bumped by someone making a right on red and then crossed into my lane. damage was very minor (paint scraped off the bumper, and the fender is slightly bent with some surface scratches). Against my better judgement the woman who hit me stated she did not want to go through insurance and hence would pay out of pocket. I felt very bad for her as she explained her issues and hence did not want her to get a ticket so I allowed her to give me her information and had her sign that she would pay for repairs to my vehicle. After staring at my car for a while I worry that it may be more money then she wants to pay. Am I being stupid for worrying or does the damage sound minor enough to think it can be fixed somewhat cheaply and did I do the right thing based on the fact that it was a minor accident :(

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Well, if someone hit me I would insist on a police report only for proof of the accident. In Indiana the police don't issue citations for accidents so it's kind of a no brainer to get the police involved.

Having said that, 10 years ago, when I was living in Ohio I scratched some guys Ford Taurus with my mirror in the lane beside me going 70 on the highway - I was trying to avoid some retread in the road and I didn't see the guy but I heard my mirror scrape the side of his car. It put a long dent and a scraped paint or my paint rubbed off onto his, I can't remember now. At any rate neither of us wanted our insurance raised so I gave him my driver's license info and insurance policy number (as a trust thing) and he called in a few days with an estimate of $500. He said he was not going to get it fixed but wanted the money - I was fine with that, paid it and forgot all about it. I was 25 when it happened so I figure my insurance would have gotten that amount three fold in increases had I turned that in. ;)

I would get a few estimates, give them to her and if she doesn't come up with it or if she gives you a sob story tell her you're going to take her to small claims and hope like hell she's not too savy because without a police report - you're on shaky grounds - it's just your word against hers.

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
The lack of a police report shouldn't matter. Many municipalities won't even respond to minor fender benders anymore. The statement you had her sign will be proof enough for you. Witnesses would only help.

·
0 Posts
As long as she pays you will both save money in the long run, its done all the time. only country folk with $5 dollar insurance would advise against not reporting this to the insurance!

p.s. dont be mad country folk with $5 dollar insurance :poke: :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think you're being stupid, I think you're a respectable person for taking her situation into consideration. I probably would have done the same. It's hard to tell how bad the damage is by the description. The paint off the bumper probably won't be terribly expensive. I'm not sure about the fender though. I work at a paint/body shop and might be able to give you a better idea of what it's gonna take if I had pics, but by the time you go to the trouble to take them, post them, etc, you would have visited a body shop. I agree, the signed statement by her should be enough.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Urlik said:
The lack of a police report shouldn't matter. Many municipalities won't even respond to minor fender benders anymore. The statement you had her sign will be proof enough for you. Witnesses would only help.
I see, I didn't read that he had her sign a statement - I thought they just had a verbal agreement.

As long as you don't lose that piece of paper and that she didn't write bogus information you should fine. Did you get her driver's license info and her plate number - just in case?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yes... make copies of the paper and place it in several location. Keep the original especially safe. Next get an estimate of the repair costs, and have her pay everything. You should not have to pay a single dime out.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sullie said:
Urlik said:
I see, I didn't read that he had her sign a statement - I thought they just had a verbal agreement.

As long as you don't lose that piece of paper and that she didn't write bogus information you should fine. Did you get her driver's license info and her plate number - just in case?
I asked for her license and confirmed that it was the same info she put on the paper...i also have her license plate #....i figured that was sufficient

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
No Joe.....NOOOOOOO

Neverever do that.....always call cops

My friend did identical thing and guess what....they drove away and the other person call 911 with hit and run. Lets just say my friend ended up in jail.....and still going thru [email protected]#t.

Just hope that person is nice.... :( :( :(

Z28Driver said:
I asked for her license and confirmed that it was the same info she put on the paper...i also have her license plate #....i figured that was sufficient
but you should be good with that...

Good luck

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
You should be fine I got hit by someguy crossing two full lanes of traffic and he poped out in the same part of the left turn lane that I thought was mine. If you have something signed and she was in the wrong, you should not have trouble.
The guy who hit me said " just go get some estimates and I will pay cash no insurance" but that little damage on a car can be more around 4,000 dollars when he heard that I got policy numbers real quick. I had a witness too that helped. anyhow good luck.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Good carma. You kind of need that right now. I hope it will come back to you fast.

Not bad, the same thing has happened to my sister, all went well. You live in NJ. The last thing she wants is an accident on her record. I imagine she will be quite ready to avoid any reporting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing