Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a jl 12" w7 and a 1000 watt rf amp whenever his sub hits at full strength all his lights dim. would a capacitor fix this problem?? if so how many farads???

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can fix that with a capacitor, one you should get is a 1 farad cap. .They typically run a little over a hundred dollars. Seems that crutchfield has them pretty cheap, or you can go to best buy.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
hockey345 said:
my friend has a jl 12" w7 and a 1000 watt rf amp whenever his sub hits at full strength all his lights dim. would a capacitor fix this problem?? if so how many farads???

No, a cap won't fix this. If the voltage drop is bad enough to be visible on the headlights a cap (unless it's one of the big ass Alumapro caps) won't help. You have two options, 1) buy a bigger alternator or 2) buy a Jacobs Accuvolt. I would do the alternator personally. What kind of car does your friend drive?

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
for the cost of a capacitor I always recommend an extra battery. This will provide much more reserver power for his large jl amplifier, and should help his voltage stay up higher. It is different altogether than a capacitor because a capacitor will discharge instantaneously and then recharge, as opposed to a battery that is slow to discharge and recharge. But the good thing about a battery is that it strengthens the system in more aspects than just instantenous power needs, and he will be able to pound the streets longer and louder.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
But when the car's running the battery is a load, just like the amp. It WILL help a bit, but a bigger battery will only really help when the enging is off. I'd still look at a bigger alternator or have the current unit rewound.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing