Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 months ago I took my car over to a friends house, he has a vagcom, was going to recode my tranny. Hooked it up, wouldn't link to any controller.

Yesterday I got a MIL (CEL), took it to autozone for a free scan. I forgot all about the problem linking to the computer. The dude tried it 3 times, nothing, link error.

I thought it may be my chip because I was having the problem just after I got it, but didn't know if it was related. I swaped chip right there in the autozone parking lot. Dude tried to scan it again, link error. WTF?

Can anyone give me some advise?

http://www.elitedubs.com/miles/Allen Parkway/index/

·
Registered
445 Posts
I know we got into it before, I am the last guy you want it from, but I would like to help anyways :)

First thing I would try:

check all pins on the obd2 port, make sure they are not pushed inward in the connector not making contact.

Check all fuses, obd2 ports run on 12v/acc circuit

Take down the drivers underside hush panel, squeeze the obd2 plug and pull it out, it's easy. Check all wires for a pinch or slice in the insulation, from a mod or reassembly at some point. The knee protection panel is sharp and could have pinched a wire there.

use this diagram and check the power and ground pins with a volt ohm meter..

2 different scanners same results?....car runs Ecus fine...has to be a connection issue with the scan port or it's subsequent harness connections.

Hope you get it working...

TJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remove the panel under the steering wheel and removed the connector. All wires and their connections to the pins look good.

I get 12+ volts through pins 4 and 16.

I thought about my turbo timer. When I installed it I had to remove a fuse to get the alarm to set and locks to lock with the engine still running. I replaced that fuse and checked voltage again. Same results. Drove up to Autozone to get it scanned again, but I think they may of had a special on fuzz dice or something, people were everywhere. I will roll back up there in a while and have it done.

Thanks TJ

·
Registered
445 Posts
Jem,

Pin 4 you should check for continuity (sp?) to ground, you should not have 12v there, just ground, Or do you mean you checked pin 16 with pin4 to complete the circuit?

it's no problem :thumbup: I hope we can get it going for you...

TJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked voltage as pin 16 hot and pin 4 ground.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back to autozone this morning, same shit, link error.

The picture you posted up about the position of the wire on the OBD2 plug only shows 4 wire/pins. When I removed mine I see 6.

Pins 1,4,5,7,13,16 are used.

·
Registered
445 Posts
do you have a spare ECU or a socketed chip?

If you have a spare, I would swap and try again....if not I would swap my chip to stock and see what happens then...

If you have to go into the GIAC ecu I would make sure the decoder board is seated properly, then the chip is held in with a slide locking prom holder, I would check and see if that is seated well...

I would also inspect the pins at the ECU for bends or damage...see if you can find a ecu pinout diagram, and check the K line pin closely.

Hopefully you have a stock ecu and can try the swap deal...or maybe a buddy has one for you to try.. At least then you will have your "control" in the experiment, and can do the ol' prcess of elimination ...sucks!!!

Good luck Jem,

I do want you to get it working, Not to be funny or going back to the old thread, but I still want to see some data from your ecu... considering we have the same car.

TJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a spare ECU, but I have a socketed chip. I have already installed other files and had it scaned with no luck.

The whole reason behind this is because I was trying to get info for you. I will get it figured out and send you the info you wanted.

EDIT: I pulled the lower cover and pulled the obdII connector out. Pins 1,4,5,7,13,16 are used. Pins 4 and 5 have continuity to ground and pin 16 shows 12V. I get .5V at pin 7 and pins 1 and 13 don't carry voltage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.