Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something must be wrong with the 4 little 'clips'.
I do have the vw tools/keys, but none of them lock properly making it impossible to pull the radio out. now it seems that the clips are completely dead (I messed with it for 45 minutes..)
I just bought a blitzsafe adaptor, but now I can't plug it in! :(
Is it possible to puch the radio from behind? Can I access the backside by removing the glove box? or should I remove the wood trims around the radio?
help plz

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
nope...its a tough one and like quality_sound said you are risking breaking that piece.

i removed all the buttons first, then popped off the HVAC cover, undid the bottom 2 screws there, and started to wrestle with the entire assembly (mainly by pulling on the HU through the tape opening, and then by sliding my hands in where the side buttons are). your opponent here are 2 screws that are right "above" the faceplace of the HU. i got the "loops" on the trim to snap, but the entire piece is just fine. you risk breaking the main piece, which is not cheap, but it worked out for me. there really is no other way to get back there.

EDIT: this is really hard to explain without pics. hope you at least have a clue of what im talking about.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
here is a pic with the HU removed. the 2 screws i was talking about are right at the top, right behind the lip of the trim. they go "up" and "into" the dash towards the vents. you can also see that the cage the HU sits in makes it pretty impossible to get to from any other angle.

i borrowed this pic from the following thread, and there is a few more there: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164168

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
oh man.. I hope I wont break anything.
It s my only option, so let s see how it will turn out!
---
edit: HU removed! thanks for the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same problem - and I did get my head unit out.
What you have to do - and be careful when you do it is the following:
1 - remove the black battery cable.

2 - carefully remove the buttons on either side of the head unit - a flat edge screwdriver and some careful maneuvering will get one started, then you can get the rest out. Like I said - be CAREFUL. Once the buttons are out, you actually need to pull them out of the wiring harnesses they are attached to in order to give you some room to work. Don't worry, it requires some force, but if you hold the back of the wiring harness, and the button, then just rock back and forth until they come undone.

3 - Feel around near the top and bottom sides of the head unit, through the holes where the hazard button, defroster, ESP and blank are. You will feel tabs - these hold the stereo in. Those "tools" are supposed to push them in, but didn't on mine, and apparently did not on yours either.

4 - You will need to push all 4 in, while simultaneously pulling the head unit out. This requires a lot of patience. I actually used 2 "D rings" to hold the top two tabs in, while I focussed on the bottom two. It required a lot of force pushing with my fingers, but I was able to pull the stereo out about 1/4 of an inch. After that, I removed the D rings, and pulled the stereo out with no problem.

Remember - this requires a lot of PATIENCE. It took me over an hour to get the head unit out. My fingers were bruised for days, but damnit, I now have my ipod connected...

I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts