Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Sunday I needed to get into the trunk on one of my Passat's. Push the trunk button on my FOB, grab the trunk lid and it won't move.
Climbed into the car through the rear seats and the manual release doesn't work either. :banghead: I get out of the car and try FOB again. This time the trunk opened.
Now after closing the lid, it won't open again. I looked in the Bentley manual and it doesn't say much, that I could find anyway.
It almost seems like a weak solenoid. I can clearly hear the lock mechanism functioning when I press the button on the door and the FOB. But there are times when it makes a louder actuation noise, those are the times the trunk lid will release.
Anybody else ever have this or know of a would be cause?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had this problem with my 00, there's a few linkage bars that the actuator moves. One of the holes on the bracket that moved those bars broke. I had to crawl in and remove the inner panel to see which one. I could hear the actuator move move so I know that was working. It's a pretty simple job to do.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it open when you put the key in the trunk lock? If so, the lock mechanism itself is okay and points to a problem with the electrical part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Can't get the key in the hole. It's corroded up inside there and the key wont even start to go in.

I had this problem with my 00, there's a few linkage bars that the actuator moves. One of the holes on the bracket that moved those bars broke. I had to crawl in and remove the inner panel to see which one. I could hear the actuator move move so I know that was working. It's a pretty simple job to do.
I'll crawl in there again tonight and see what I can do. Same here, I can hear the actuator / solenoid (whatever) working, but it seems like it might be binding thus preventing a smooth operation every time. Damn I wish I were young again, just the thought of crawling into the trunk and messing around is making my back hurt.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Once you crawl back there (with a flashlight), look for a vertical rod - you need to pull upwards on it.

When you get the deck lid open, you need to "play around" with the latch and actuators. By play around, I mean moving the latch to the closed position (with deck lid still open) to see which actuator is weak. You'll get the hang of the rod that needs to be pulled upwards to manually unlock the lid latch. Make sure you leave the latch "open" before closing the deck lid.

^Obviously, all of the above is after the felt cover is removed from the deck lid.

I've got a spare lock/actuator set (from collision damage repair) collecting dust in the garage...which will continue to collect dust just to ensure I'll never have deck lid lock/actuator issues on either of the Passats I own. (If I sold them, both cars' trunk lock actuators would go on the fritz the following week - :crazy: )

:beer:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll crawl in there again tonight and see what I can do. Same here, I can hear the actuator / solenoid (whatever) working, but it seems like it might be binding thus preventing a smooth operation every time. Damn I wish I were young again, just the thought of crawling into the trunk and messing around is making my back hurt.
hahaha...I'm old, fat and outta shape! It wasn't that bad, just a bit hot, but that was in summer time.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Try spraying some Liquid Wrench in the key slot on the trunk lid. Let it sit for about an hr then spray a little more. Wait an hr or a day then slowly start working your key in.

Once the little dust flap moves then you can spray more LW inside the lock. Slowly ease the key in while kinda jiggling it. Repeat the LW steps till the lock is working.

There also should be a lever or some type of pull handle to release the trunk from the inside.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
once you get the key mechanism out you can disassemble it with all the tumblers etc,clean and will be good as new, I went inside my decklid and got tumbler/mechanism out (corroded) ,delicate but pretty straight forward,careful with the tiny springs on the pawls/tumblers/slides.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure you are using the correct key for that car? With so many to chose from, you never know!
:lol:
My wife saw this and she was laughing so hard she was crying. That's a good one Paul.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I crawled in there and peeled off the cover and it was plainly obvious what the problem was.
The lock mechanism was badly corroded and wouldn't allow the levers on the assembly to move on their pivot points. It took a vise-grip and some pretty hard turning force to release the trunk. I just happen to have a new mechanism laying in my toolbox from a purchase years back.
Slapped in the new one and presto, just like new. Works every time.
I did leave the cover off so I can get inside there and fix the key lock mechanism. I think there's a broken piece of a key in there.
That'll be tomorrows after work project when I have some daylight.

Thanks for the posts!

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You just happen to have a trunk latching mechanism just laying around :thumbup:

How does a piece of key break off inside the lock? These things are pretty darn robust!
I know hey, what are the chances? But I'm serious as a heart attack. My wife was like "great more money on a Passat" and then I pull out the lock mechanism. All she said was "unbelievable". It was an instant classic moment.

I'm assuming it's a key broken off in there, the key only enters about an 1/8 inch and stops abruptly. And there is absolutely no give when pushing on it.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
the little copper pawls/wafers....6mm x 12mm x 1 mm thick are seized in the slots with corrosion, and once they are seized only way to get them out is soak and then pull the out of the tumbler. And the way it is designed the key just cannot get the cam action needed to get them to slide.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I know hey, what are the chances? But I'm serious as a heart attack. My wife was like "great more money on a Passat" and then I pull out the lock mechanism. All she said was "unbelievable". It was an instant classic moment.
HAHA....You saved you bacon on that one ;-)

I'm assuming it's a key broken off in there, the key only enters about an 1/8 inch and stops abruptly. And there is absolutely no give when pushing on it.
I'm going with what cchief recommended as I honestly don't see a key breaking off inside the lock

·
Registered
72 Posts
"my wife was always surprised at all the parts I had (and still have some) from when I had the 99 B5. she'd always be asking me, "what's broken now?" and I'd tell her don't sweat it, got a spare..."

Jay, what you have kept from the B5 reminds me that as these cars age and break down, spare parts will become increasingly rare, unless you have the skills to repair broken parts ,e.g. wiring, soldering, welding skills and so forth. So it should serve as a reminder to those of us who harbor dreams of keeping these old beauties on the road and maintained to keep vigilant for used parts as they become available. For me, I happened to see a couple of newly deposited Passats in the boneyard of our local pull-a-part and I have been thinking of getting the heads, the wire harnesses, the axles, fenders and doors from them the next time I go there. I think the investment would be worthwhile, even if i never again replace those parts on my car. And when my wife frets about something breaking down, I'll just say, I've got a spare.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's almost to the point now that if a Passat goes into the garage, my wife just assumes the motor is coming out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.