Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a trip up to the Hamptons on Long Island and a few hours into the trip, my friggin back was sore as all! I noticed this with all thes trips I've taken in the B5.5. No matter how I adjust the seats....it still friggin hurts. You think if I got the GLX with the seat angle adjustments it would have helped any??? I drive my Dodge Caravan all over the place for extended trips and never have had this problem. The Dodge doesn't even have lumbar or height adjustable seats....not to mention a telescoping wheel.

Everyone of the reviews on the Passat say how comfy the seats are....makes me wonder if they sat in it for two or more hours.

·
Registered
165 Posts
grin + bear it?

Didn't you take it on a decent test-drive before you bought it to make sure this wasnt an issue?

I'm a big guy who has problems fitting into some seats, and I put it through a hell of a test drive before I bought it.

Maybe take it in and get the seats restuffed softer?? The sides of my GLX seats are hard too, but they dont bother me. They did initially - but it takes some getting used to.

--Jell0

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm in the same boat as fookie. I did a reasonable test drive, but not a five hour one! :lol: I'm good for several hours, but start to feel a little uncomfortable at about 3.5 to 4 hours. I'm still dialing in my position for the long haul road trips. I'm going to try this procedure next:

Driving Position Guide

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I just did 2 8 hour trips last weekend in my GLX .. for the long haul I actuallu move the seat forward and more upright and lift the arm rest so there is less weight on my shoulder. :)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
What sort of position are you currently using? Laid back is definitely an invitation for a sore back. This question came up at least once in the past few years and the concensus seemed to end up with near vertical back, enough distance from wheel for nearly straight arms, and enough seat height and nearness to the wheel to give your knees a bend.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
fookie said:
You think if I got the GLX with the seat angle adjustments it would have helped any???
Yeah, I do. I find it helped me to raise the front of the seat up a bit and to be in a more upright position. I second the recommendation that you look at that driving position site suggested above. For me, it means being a tad closer to the wheel than I was used to, but the current driving position is quite comfortable to me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I did a 29 hour drive san diego to chicago (and then lots more driving, but that was the longest stretch) last month, and switching off every 2-3 hours with a buddy and we were fine in the B5. Just stop every once in a while and stretch and you'll be fine and change your seat alignment every hour (just change lumbar setting or height or whatever) I think it helps to move around. Or try the butt warmth for soothing heat therapy if you have the cold weather package. :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a similar problem. My solution was to pump the bottom cushion higher, make the backrest a bit more upright, and all is now well. WAY better than the wife's Mustang (like sitting on a park bench).

·
Registered
716 Posts
I did about 2200 in last week, Peoria - New Orleans - Texas and back and the Passat seats are fine. We generally haul pretty hard and only stop about every 4-5 hours. IMHO, seats can be very personal, but these fit my rear ok! Now a good left arm rest rather than cranked up on the top of the door would be nice to have..... 8)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Every time I get in my Passat, it seems like it feels a little bit different.
So I get in, drive for a few minutes, then maybe adjust the lumbar, or the seat back, or the height (very rarely, the front-to-back position).
I've always felt that the Passat's seats are extremely comfy. Almost all of the time, when I ride in a car, my wallet presses against my cyatic nerve and usually causes my right leg to go numb (a wonderful feeling when you go to hit the brakes and it feels like your foot isn't moving, then all of the sudden... WHAM, your foot finds them and pushes harder than you'd anticipated... did that in the Beretta a number of times). The shape of the seats in the Passat, however, have NEVER bothered that nerve.

Personally, I like to drive very upright. I find it very comfortable, and I like the feeling of alertness that I gain when I sit like that, as opposed to reclining some. I'm not entirely sure how you sit in your Passat, but I bet if you raise the seatback some, raise the chair itself up some, and give yourself some (but not too much) lumbar support, you'll probably be more comfortable. I like to keep the wheel as far away from my body as it will go, and as low as it can go to still see my gauges.

Also, I agree with you on van seats. They're always comfy because you sit upright, more like you would in a chair, not with your feet way out in front of you. It allows you to shift your weight around, instead of having it all supported by your lower back and rear end. At least, that's how it feels for me.

Just keep experimenting with different positions. You'll find something eventually.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Altair's driving position is where its at. I crank the seat most of the way forward (straight up and down) and the lumbar most of the way out. I'm 6'1", so the seat is back to the second to last position, and up off the floor a few notches. Not as much space between the knees and steering wheel as I'd like, but good otherwise.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys......i'll try the new seating positions described in the link above and tell you what i find once i go on another 5-hour trip down the north carolina this weekend......

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your findings...I have a couple of long drives lined up for the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you drive manual you gotta be kinda high up and close to steering wheel.. if its auto / tip you can just lay back alittle.. but laying back in this seat seems abit painfull.. cause it doesn't support the higher half of your back.. weired seats.. but im riping them out soon.. so don't matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts