Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Can't get cat out of B5 2.8 which is necessary to get rack and pinion out

974 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Hirnbeiss 
#1 ·
I educated myself with the steps for removing the rack and pinion. Unfortunately, the b5 isn't always the same. When it came to removing the lower bolt (from below) on the rack and pinion. The cat and a heat shield were in the way. So to get access I need to remove the cat.

I replaced the cat a few years back but can't remember all the steps and can not find it on line. I disconnect the 3 flange bolts. the sleeve and the hanger. I remember last time the cat was not able to be pulled out because the channel was too small. Somehow I found that I disconnect the engine from the back frame by disconnecting the bolts on the plate that connects the two. The engine must be supported and then, slowing let down some till the channel widens . Then, the front pipe with the cat can be removed.

I am not sure what I am missing. I disconnected the two trans mounts and took the bolts out of the plate, but the engine will not tip back to open the channel. I must be missing a step. Can anyone help?

#3 ·
The cv joints will probably need to be removed along with the front snub mount to allow for the engine to lean back far enough.

#6 ·
Hirnbeiss, I did look at that video. Unfortunately my 2003 B5.5 has a heat shield and the exhaust pipes (off the manifold) in the way. I can not see either the bottom rack and pinion bolt or the two banjo bolts. This is why I am taking out the exhaust pipe, but I am having difficulty taking out the pipe. There is a big part of the pipe, which is right off the manifold, that will not allow me to pull it through. When I installed the pipe a few years ago I knew I had to tilt the engine back to get the old pipe out and the new pipe in. Once I get that pipe out, I am planning to cut a hole in the heat shield so I can get visibility to the rack and pinion bolts.

AndreasPassat, I took both the CV joints off and released the snub mount, but I am still unable to tilt the engine back. Any ideas what I am missing to disconnect? I couldn't find a video out there or a post that shows the steps to tilt the engine back. Do you know where one is?

#7 ·
This is the procedure, if it helps:
Remove left and right axle shaft shielding plates.
Vehicles with manual transmission :
On vehicles with oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter, expose wires for oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter at transmission and disconnect both wires.
NOTE: Note location of cable ties.

Unbolt right/left exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold and from transmission support.
Loosen right / left double clamp between exhaust pipe and center muffler and slide toward rear.
Guide out front exhaust pipe with right / left catalytic converter toward rear.

Vehicles with automatic transmission:
For vehicles with All Wheel Drive secure driveshaft with alignment fixture 3213 and unfasten intermediate bearing from vehicle floor.
NOTE: During this work procedure, the driveshaft must not be separated from the transmission.

Unscrew upper nut from right / left exhaust manifold (corresponding to exhaust pipe to be removed).
Support transmission.

Remove rear bolts -1 and - 2 of subframe on both sides of vehicle.
Lower transmission slightly.
On vehicles with oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter, expose wires for oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter at transmission and disconnect both wires.
NOTE: Note location of cable ties.

Unbolt right/left exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold and from transmission support.
Loosen right/left double clamp between exhaust pipe and center muffler and slide toward rear.

Unbolt transmission support -1 with transmission mount - 2 at right/left.
NOTE:
A second technician is required.
To remove the lower bolt for the transmission support, raise the transmission slightly and use hex ball socket 3247.
To remove the upper bolt of the transmission support, lower the transmission slightly and swing the exhaust pipe as far upward as possible.
Guide out front exhaust pipe with right / left catalytic converter toward rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.