Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess after reaching ‘4th gear’ on the forums I should post one of these.

My name is Geoff and live in Richmond, VA now. Bought the car back in 2007 for way too much money, but I needed a dependable driver and up to 2010, it has been.

Found PassatWorld in 2008 because I was getting railed by the dealership. Started hanging out with the Northern East Coast guys and really got hooked on the beauty and boldness the B5/B5.5 can offer.

So far, I have been very passive in tuning the car, but trying to learn how to keep her running strong. One thing I have learned is nothing is as clear as it should be. If anything happens with the car, the first thing I do now is check for air leaks. This includes running out of gas.

To the photos:

2004, VW Passat, 1.8t, AWM, FWD, 120,000 miles (as of AUG10), Auto

When I first got her.

stock with 35% tint

My favorite mod, “EBAY LED headlight” you can find the DIY on youtube.
(the lights to not work anymore. The winters in Mass killed them)

Timing Belt Fun!!!

Installing my D3

Favorite Photo:

How she sits now (AUG10)

UPDATE: APRIL 2011

where the magic happens

What I have on the car right now:
-Replaced: TB, V6 motor mounts, Newspeed snub mount, metal water pump, thermostat, coolant sensor, speed sensor.
-Pioneer D3 with GPS and Ipod
-CAI with K&N
-Magnaflow Muffler with Res cut out (stock pipes)
-New South Boost Gauge
-MBC (parallel) (TAKEN off the car. too many limp mode issues)
-N75J (TAKEN off the car. too many limp mode issues)
-Samco Turbo Intake Hose
-Samco Throttle Body Hose with DV relocation
-Audi Bolt down coil packs
-APR 93 tune with optional stock
-Brembo Solid rotors
-PBR Metal Masters Pads
-Forge DV Splitter
-17x7 Audi A4 five spokes rims
-Falken Ziex 235/45 ZR17 tires
-6k HID (35w)
-Non-badge front grill
-15mm spacers for the front
-20mm spacers for the back
-Bilstein HD Shocks
-H&R Sport Springs
-S4 Control Arms

Bought and not installed yet:
-S4 Control Arms
-Votex Body Kit (front, sides and rear)
-Clarion sub and cabin Amps
-12” Clarion Sub
-2.5” Test Pipe
-replacement K03-29 turbo (might sell and go to K04)

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So.

yesterday. 09OCT10, my GF and I was planning a full day. Going to the Richmond Folk Festival, eat, drink, listen to music, go back home, shower and change and head to VA Beach for a Fall Concert series I am playing in.

Sounds like a really nice Saturday..

We had to head over to CVS first to get CVS things that CVS carries. While sitting in the parking lot, we where talking about if I should take the insurance check from the taxi cab hitting me in NYC and fix the front right of the car, or use it to pay for the labor to install the parts I need to install. Then I saw a blue F-150 rear end slowing pulling out of his spot. Thought Nothing of it. it is a parking lot, people do that. Then he got closer and closer to me. Hao-yi leaned to me and I pushed my horn as hard as possible (like the horn will be louder if I push it harder... lol) Well, he hit me. Then he took his foot off the brake and started backing up AGAIN! I honked again....

The guy got out of his truck yelling at me that I "went flying around the corner and hit him" I explained in the most military SGT voice I can dig up that he was a idiot and didn't check all his mirrors because I was in that parking spot for at least 5 mins.

O well, I told him get his license, registration and insurance card.

all he has... is a firkin PASSPORT! the truck is not insured, no registration and no license on him. my response, "Are you F*ing kidding me?!? Who is the hell would drive in Richmond with out it?!? Dumb ass!"

I had to call the police.

took them 20mins to get there and the F-150 guy was pissed (white man, in his 30's. Working man, plaid shirt, boots, blue jeans, beard.)

at the end, I am stuck with a broken car, the guy was let go because it was on private property. The guy 'promised me' that he will fix it. I have all of his information (the police officer helped out A LOT!!! Thank you Richmond PD!)

how much do you think I should ask to fix it?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If he didn't get a ticket, he's probably not going to fix your car. More than likely this will end up in civil court. I hate to say that but people do crap like that all the time.:(

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
WOW! Geoff...sorry to hear that man....at least you have the police report. Get this done NOW. Don't wait. The less time between the situation and getting the ball rolling, the better. Great new mod for the GTG, though!

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Damn that sucks. Get several quotes from body shops first. Tell the shops you are paying for it and not the insurance company. Fu*k pickup trucks!!!

So.

yesterday. 09OCT10, my GF and I was planning a full day. Going to the Richmond Folk Festival, eat, drink, listen to music, go back home, shower and change and head to VA Beach for a Fall Concert series I am playing in.

Sounds like a really nice Saturday..

We had to head over to CVS first to get CVS things that CVS carries. While sitting in the parking lot, we where talking about if I should take the insurance check from the taxi cab hitting me in NYC and fix the front right of the car, or use it to pay for the labor to install the parts I need to install. Then I saw a blue F-150 rear end slowing pulling out of his spot. Thought Nothing of it. it is a parking lot, people do that. Then he got closer and closer to me. Hao-yi leaned to me and I pushed my horn as hard as possible (like the horn will be louder if I push it harder... lol) Well, he hit me. Then he took his foot off the brake and started backing up AGAIN! I honked again....

The guy got out of his truck yelling at me that I "went flying around the corner and hit him" I explained in the most military SGT voice I can dig up that he was a idiot and didn't check all his mirrors because I was in that parking spot for at least 5 mins.

O well, I told him get his license, registration and insurance card.

all he has... is a firkin PASSPORT! the truck is not insured, no registration and no license on him. my response, "Are you F*ing kidding me?!? Who is the hell would drive in Richmond with out it?!? Dumb ass!"

I had to call the police.

took them 20mins to get there and the F-150 guy was pissed (white man, in his 30's. Working man, plaid shirt, boots, blue jeans, beard.)

at the end, I am stuck with a broken car, the guy was let go because it was on private property. The guy 'promised me' that he will fix it. I have all of his information (the police officer helped out A LOT!!! Thank you Richmond PD!)

how much do you think I should ask to fix it?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, time for an update. I have a general idea for the car now, but working out other issues before i tackle the body again. I still have a votex kit sitting in the garage untouched. was thinking of throw it on the car and plastidip it. On the other hand, it might not look good.

Bad cell phone photo and a 20min wax job.

Thinking going to black rims soon. The audi 5's in the photo are going up for sale.

I also have a set of OEM audi (very heavy) going up for sale soon as well.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch guys, ya, it is lowered. a whole 1.75" :) I have HD Bil shock and H&R springs.

I drive about 50k miles a rear on the highway from NJ to FL, so I have to go with a more tested and approved shock set up. No coil overs for me.

Scott, I have not found a photo of the all black votex kit on a silver passat yet. Until I find it, I will hold off. I just plastiDip my chome trim last weekend and really like the looks of it. If you get close to the car, you can tell that "I" did the work. lol. ended up using a compound to clean up the car because I didn't tape well enough and the wind pushed the spray more then i thought it would.

My idea is:
Smoked cornor lights
Halo Black head lights
Black rims
Black Kombi grill
35% tint all windows
Euro rub strips or plastidip them
(votex something)

My financee wants me to do Sun Yellow rims with silver and black theme.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking about both. I want to get one really nice set instead of two 'okay' sets. Jay is talking to be right now, but have not picked which ones he want.

the Gray is REP and the tires are dead.

the White is painted OEM audi. set of 5. Tires are good with a nail that is fixable. If I still have the white ones for another month, i will be striping the while paint.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.

I was wondering how the vdub guys are doing and came back on here to check things out.

Long story short.

Got married, went active duty and wife made me sell the 'asst. now been driving a civic (1.8 w/ no mods) and my wife and I HATE the civic. Lol. Was looking at a cars being sold on here as I know how most of you like to keep them in top shape.

Now, as I have been in ft hood for the past 2.5 years, it looks like my family may be moving to Korea (Humphrey Base) in 2016. We were hoping for Germany, but I guess I didn't jerk off the right person for that station. Lol. No but really. I guess I didn't.

If you are thinking about selling your Passat, and it is paid off. Don't do it. Have not drivin a car as quit, comfortable, handling and stylish in that price range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts