Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pre-owned 2002 Passat 1.8T with automatic transmission and have changed the engine oil and filter three times now. Four quarts of oil has been too much each time.

The first was at a fast lube service. Four quarts was added, and the dip-stick reading indicated overfill.

The second I did myself. I had to quit adding at a little over 3.75 quarts.

The third I did myself, draining the oil by using a Mityvac Evacuator. Again, I had to quit adding at about 3.75 quarts. I did not remove the lower engine cover and open the drain plug after using the Evacuator to see if any oil was left.

The car was driven to operating temperature and placed absolutely level prior to draining. The new filter was filled to near capacity. The oil level was checked after driving for at least one day, and more oil was added as needed.

Is this normal? The instructions say use 4.3 quarts with an oil filter change.

Should the car be placed at an angle to drain the oil through the drain plug?

With the Mityvac, should the car be placed at some angle? (The Mityvac did a good job on our 2002 Mazda Miata. Only two or three tablespoons of oil drained from the plug when I tested it.)

I hope this hasn't been discussed (too much) previously. I searched, but did not see anthing similar.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
3.8 quarts is the correct amount for your engine with the OEM size oil filter. There are oversize oil filters available from VW -stock on the 2004 Passat - that take the capacity up to more than 4 quarts; perhaps the instructions you're reading assume you are using that filter. WIX makes the Big Kahuna #51333 filter, which is also sold through NAPA as the #1333 filter, that takes the capacity up a little higher.

I, and a lot of other CB5ers, use an oil extractor without any problems getting all the oil out. If you are adding 3.75 quarts, then you're getting all the oil out. Trust the dipstick when you refill. There have been many threads about overfills at 10 minute oil change places; you are not alone.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What instructions are you using, there was a chart somewhere that I saw from VW that indicated initial fill is a little over 4 quarts but oil change fill is always less than 4 - although the capacity is higher, it accounts for residual oil in the system. The instructions may be for a 2004 which comes with the bigger filter (I think it is the same as the TDI filter).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RL331 said:
What instructions are you using, there was a chart somewhere that I saw from VW that indicated initial fill is a little over 4 quarts but oil change fill is always less than 4 - although the capacity is higher, it accounts for residual oil in the system. The instructions may be for a 2004 which comes with the bigger filter (I think it is the same as the TDI filter).
First, thanks to everyone answering. My instructions are the owners literature - the booklet is labeled "3.3 2002 Passat Sedan Technical Data". I feel better with the responses I've received!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.